Greetings, with Christmas just around the corner, I am considering a few small projects for gifts and such.
1. Wooden covers for "scrap book" aka Heirloom Photo Album. Several people I know are into this scrap booking hoby and I came across a set of basic plans (Pop Woodworking) for the front and back covers. The scrap book materials are added by inserting sheets of paper between the front and back covers, much like a book. The covers are joined together using escutcheon pins and bolts and the covers attach to the spine using piano hinges. The plan calls for the covers to be quite large and thin ie 12"x 13"x 1/4". Pretty much a large photo album.
I am looking for recommendations for wood species that has a good chance of staying flat (relatively stable), offers visual interest and is not too difficult to work.
They (Pop Wdwkg) suggested either mahogany or walnut. I would probably resaw and try book-matching if I could find something with a nice grain. Haven't tried this before. May also try a little chip carving to add interest.
Other suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks, Rick.