Thread: how to position two table saws, with an additional issue to consider...

how to position two table saws, with an additional issue to consider...

I got a very good deal on two cabinet saws and want to set one up for crosscuts and one for ripping.

The additional issue is one is an Delta RT-31 12"/10" with scoring blade. When the 12" blade is on it, it sticks up 1" at all times. I want to make this the crosscut saw as I think the additional height would be most useful with crosscutting, using sleds, etc.

If I put side extensions on each and make them out-feed tables for each other, I am concerned the 1" sticking up will get in the way during some ripping operations.

If I put them next to each other, it would be tight side to side with the space they are in. The area is 11ft x 16ft. There is no room anywhere else for them to go.

Wondering what some of you would do in this situation.

thanks.

How often do you need the 12 in blade? I think i would use a 10 in blade and have a 12 around for when i need it.

I agree with Adam, but you may want to check out some of Frank Howarth's YouTube videos (Frank Makes) for some ideas. His shop is much bigger than yours, but he has two cabinet saws set up in a manner similar to what you describe. If nothing else the videos are very entertaining and informative.

thanks guys. I would lean toward the 12" blade only because it is easier on the wallet to just have one blade, and it just seemed like the thing to do since the saw can do a 12" blade (or 10" with a scoring blade) so why not. I will check out the videos.

Any thoughts on having them next to eachother vs across from eachother?

I ended up with 2 Unisaws. I have not installed the motor in the saw on the left so I have not used both saws yet. The saw on the left makes a excellent support table which will not move when handling long boards or plywood since it is so heavy. I have an idea of maybe using one long fence system to connect both tables together using a Biesemeyer fence.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Next to each other might work if you put the two saws next to each other without either having wings on the mating sides. Just a suggestion. That RT-31 is a beast. I use one at work, but I barely have enough room for a 52" Unisaw at home. It's kind of like coming home to a toy after using the RT all day.

Charley

From a strictly safety point of view I would get a 10" blade as my everyday blade and just install the 12" when I need the extra depth of cut. One of my habits is to always lower the blade below the table after a cut unless I have more cuts to make and the blade height is critical (ie non thru cuts like dados). If you leave the blade 1" above the top as a normal practice it's just a matter of time before something hits it. Even if the blade is not spinning you could end up damaging the blade or whatever hit it. My 2 cents worth.

My high school shop class had a big table saw that the blade stayed somewhat above the table. We had a wood shoebox, painted orange. It was to be placed upside down over the blade when not in use. Thinking about it today I would worry it might get thrown by the blade if the saw was turned on.
    Bill

Here is my setup... ive combined the the saw and the shaper and can use the fence on both20160706_170700.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    If you leave the blade 1" above the top as a normal practice it's just a matter of time before something hits it. Even if the blade is not spinning you could end up damaging the blade or whatever hit it. My 2 cents worth.
    I did exactly that about three weeks ago. With an almost new WWII 40 tooth blade, maybe a dozen cuts on the blade. I hit the blade hard enough it not only ruined the blade it cracked a solid phenolic zero clearance throat plate. $111.00 plus ~$37.0 = $148.00 stupid mistake.

I got a simple rule in my shop:

The tops of machinery are not storage areas, nor are they work areas. That is what workbenches are for.

Haven't ran anything into my saw blade in over 30 years of woodworking.

Just curious how big your shop is. Most of us don't have the luxury of applying your rule. In a big shop I would agree with your rule but in a small shop I think my rule is more practical.