Thread: How to hang large platter?

How to hang large platter?

I'm looking for info on how others are hanging large platters, my research to date has only come up with the invisible plate hanger. Not sure I want to glue anything on the bottom of the platter though. Please show some examples of what you're using. Thanks in advance.

Perhaps it may help responders to know how large in diameter or how heavy the platters are. So far I have only turned platters up to 17" so they are pretty easy to just prop up. I got some plastic plate stands at either the dollar store or a crafts store. But if you are talking about platters the size that David Barkby turns that wouldn't work.

If the platter is reasonably heavy, you might consider leaving the mortise or spigot on the bottom, make a very close fitting mirror image of the mortise or spigot out of wood and lock the two together with either some small wedges or an opposing bolt to take up the small space. This could be hung on a wall anchor the same as a heavy picture.

Alternatively, for a really heavy platter, and used a tenon, you could make a net-fit mirror image of the tenon and then split it in two on a table saw. Then put that piece in or around tenon and use a fastener to lock it in place.

Last edited by Brice Rogers; 05-30-2017 at 8:34 PM.

For larger platters, I use a key hole router bit.
    92035-02-1000.jpg

You have the leave the bottom about 3/4" thick though. usually not an issue because I put it in the tenon.
    But if its an end grain bowl, then maybe soak that area in CA, so its strong enough.

Ok I'll be the wise guy. A 20 penny nail and a hammer should do the job. Seriously, Depending on the size 2 small screws and picture wire would be my first choice.

6. I haven't ever done it myself, but you could make a mortise for the foot but undercut it a little bit so there is a place to hook onto. It would kind of be like the keyhole idea, but you wouldn't need a router and could do it all on the lathe. This would make the bottom of the bowl a little taller.

Again, I haven't ever tried it, but it was my first thought when reading. Also, this only would work if you haven't made the piece yet... Good luck.

Jeremy, how large in diameter or how heavy are the platters ?.

[QUOTE=Brice Rogers;2694719]Perhaps it may help responders to know how large in diameter or how heavy the platters are. So far I have only turned platters up to 17" so they are pretty easy to just prop up. I got some plastic plate stands at either the dollar store or a crafts store. But if you are talking about platters the size that David Barkby turns that wouldn't work.

If the platter is reasonably heavy, you might consider leaving the mortise or spigot on the bottom, make a very close fitting mirror image of the mortise or spigot out of wood and lock the two together with either some small wedges or an opposing bolt to take up the small space. This could be hung on a wall anchor the same as a heavy picture.

Alternatively, for a really heavy platter, and used a tenon, you could make a net-fit mirror image of the tenon and then split it in two on a table saw. Then put that piece in or around tenon and use a fastener to lock it in place.

QUOTE]

That is a picture from a large plank being turned, not a platter at all, I did see the other pictures that were also shown at the time.
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Pyatskowit View Post
    I'm looking for info on how others are hanging large platters, my research to date has only come up with the invisible plate hanger. Not sure I want to glue anything on the bottom of the platter though. Please show some examples of what you're using. Thanks in advance.
    Here is a picture of the backside of a large and very warped platter that shows the way I was able to hang this piece up.

I have used this manner of hanging a large platter, as I wanted to be able to be able to choose and be able to change the orientation of the platter.

For this I leave enough wood where I could clamp a type of narrow hose clamp around it, and on the clamp I threaded a keyring through the slots in it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Have fun and take care

I'm working on 18-22" platters, heavy enough to worry about hanging them good.

Turn a foot that flares outward at least a bit (or cut a groove into the base of the foot), then wrap some wire around the foot leaving some excess to twist into a loop; hook the loop on a nail or screw or picture hanging hook. Super secure method; I've had a 16" fairly heavy ceramic platter hanging that way for the past 30 years.

The advantage of turning a nice foot that doubles as a way to secure a wire is that it can also look good when taken down and used as a platter.