Thread: Looking for a hardware solution.

Looking for a hardware solution.

I have a customer that wants me to make several cabinets that have doors that flip down (almost laying on the countertop),then slide back,with some sort of dampener so the the door doesn't slam on the counter when opening.Is the customer asking asking too much,or is this doable?Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!

Entertainment door hardware turned sideways? Interesting situation, I am curious. What size doors? Not kitchen cabinets? Need more information for the imagination.

Routed track and rollers, think upside down garage door? I'm sanding today, so the mind, it wanders........

Why do they want it to flip down?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Why do they want it to flip down?

Ours is not to wonder why. At least half of my business is doing things that can not be done.

But its going to be expensive!

I initially thought of Barrister Bookcase hardware mounted upside down, but then you wanted silent stop. How about adding a foam cushion to the stop. You might be able to incorporate a gas spring, if this cabinet will be large.

Sorry, it's all I'm coming up with.

Charley

Instead of flipping down and sliding back, would they take flipping up and sliding back? There are standard solutions for that from several sources. Blum has some cute ones.

Advantages to flipping up.... There's no issue with the knob running into the counter. And the opened door is not lying on the floor of the cabinet, colliding with whatever is stored in the cabinet.

The doors are approximately 4' wide x 2' high.I am not sure why they want the doors to operate this way,all I know at this point,is it is some kind of a display unit.Hopefully I can talk them into another design,like a door that flips up (like Jamie mentioned),but I would like to try to come up with a solution in case they are dead set on this design.

I think you are going to need a better shaper.

If you need the space I will be glad to store your old one.

10. Several ways - it's a 4bar/slider problem. Look at something like a drop front captive slide at the bottom and an extension damper at the midpoint. For the extension damper check out Guden Industrial Hardware. The trick will be to position the damper so that it will be at full extension when filly open and will easily compress as you push the door back on the captive slide. You don't really need the slide you could just us a captured pivot in a slideway like a sliding dovetail.