Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best position for a lathe in a woodshop: A question

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I tried to address that, but perhaps not clearly, .... JKJ
    Sorry, I intended to acknowledge the good advice and focus on a point I thought was unique to maker spaces. I think you're always present, even when you have groups, in your shop. That alone makes it much safer than a typical maker space can be. Yes, we have a basic safety class. But you never know when someone will "extend" that training with an ill-advised or misunderstood Youtube video. Our shop just moved and I don't know how the new area will be set up, but in the old space the wood lathe was back-to-back with the table saw. I wouldn't use the table saw when someone was turning a bowl nor turn when someone I didn't know was using the table saw. (I figured a small chance of a kick-back or a launch to the back of the head was enough it wasn't worth the risk.) In practice, I'm not sure you can make a maker space idiot proof enough or have too much safety training. Unfortunately, for all the strengths and value of a space, your next member might be the world's "best" idiot and each member still needs to look out for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    ...n practice, I'm not sure you can make a maker space idiot proof enough or have too much safety training. Unfortunately, for all the strengths and value of a space, your next member might be the world's "best" idiot and each member still needs to look out for themselves.
    The whole idea of possibly unsupervised sharing of a lathe scares me a little. Perhaps stick to lathes with smaller capacity and power like a Jet mini where someone couldn't mount 16" chunk and spin it up to 3000 rpm, by accident or on purpose?

What might be great for lathes in maker spaces are the shatter-proof (lexan?) screens on portable stands that are in many clubs and venues these days. Then people could even stand behind and watch and learn.

You are right about the safety training. I don't know if it is typically required, but each potential user should take a safety course and pass a test for certification before using the lathe. Perhaps a series of required classes for those interested? Perhaps a requirement for x number of hours with a mentor before unsupervised use?. Some type of hardware lockout system would be desirable.

A practical concern about a shared lathe is the tools. If you have shared tools, they will either never be sharp or horribly sharpened. Without a sharpening guru there will be much beginner frustration. Best would be if each user brought personal tools but that handicaps the person without resources. I know if visiting or mentoring there I would bring my own tools!

JKJ

About the placing of a lathe,

The postion of my lathes are away from the wall, as I like to be able to use the wall for hanging and placing racks, cabinets etc. and I don’t like what often happens with lathes placed agains a wall, the reaching over the lathe to take tools or other while the lathe is turning, a safety hazard (yes I know they all stop the lathe always,..... really?).

As I work on the lathe, all I have to do is turn around to get my tools in the cabinet/rack right behind me, and I also don’t have the shavings pile up agains the wall behind the lathe or on a bench if smaller lathe, and then it’s just harder to clean up.

I also have a high ceiling and have the shower curtains hanging on suspended rod and not right down to the floor, as I’m only conserned with the flying shavings and can keep the curtain a bit higher this way to catch those shavings.

Space wise it does not take up more room IMO as you do need the room to be able to work on the lathe, standing/walking on either side, against or away from the wall, plus now you can use the wall for rack and cabinet placement, plus you are able to work on the backside of the lathe if that is more convenient or safer to do.
    Have fun and take care

My lathe is up against the wall, with a big window over it that provides a lot of natural light, and a nice view of my meadow. I haven't felt the need to be on the other side of it any time in the last 30 years, so I guess there must be some technique I haven't learned yet that requires that-- something to look forward to. It would be easy enough to swing one end out as needed. The lathe is offset from the window such that the primary "line of fire" will hit the wall, not the window. Haven't broken one yet! I'm quite happy to take that risk in order to get the light.

I think it is important to position your lathe and sharpening station such that you can sharpen by just turning, without having to take even a step.

My lathe is close to the wall due to space limitations of my shop. I also do not do hollow forms so there is no need for me to every be behind it.
    I use sliding netting (pond or garden) to keep chips contained and allow air flow. I did have to add some bolts at the bottom for weight.
    For a finer mesh, mosquito netting will allow for things to still be seen.

https://www.amazon.com/GardeningWill...10%2Bfeet&th=1
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    The whole idea of possibly unsupervised sharing of a lathe scares me a little. Perhaps stick to lathes with smaller capacity and power like a Jet mini where someone couldn't mount 16" chunk and spin it up to 3000 rpm, by accident or on purpose?
    Powermatic 4224. Not too big. :-)

OTOH- you make a great point.

What might be great for lathes in maker spaces are the shatter-proof (lexan?) screens on portable stands that are in many clubs and venues these days. Then people could even stand behind and watch and learn.
    That would be an outstanding addition, but space and cost are always a consideration. (Once our move is complete and I see the new layout, I'll suggest that if it'd be an improvement.)

You are right about the safety training. I don't know if it is typically required, but each potential user should take a safety course and pass a test for certification before using the lathe.
    They have one, but it is very basic. Again time & cost versus effectiveness. Remember this isn't a turning club, but a general maker space. (I don't have a valid sample, but I'd guess 3/4 of the "wood shop" use is MDF and/or plywood in the ShopBots.) Besides, if you want to get dead or seriously injured the Metal Shop, Hot Shop, or Auto Bay are much more opportunity rich. (I'm real glad I missed the time, at another shop, an "expert" launched a metal lathe chuck key 35' across a workspace, through a plasterboard wall, across a hallway, through another wall, across the lobby, and into the outside brick wall of the building.)

Perhaps a series of required classes for those interested? Perhaps a requirement for x number of hours with a mentor before unsupervised use?. Some type of hardware lockout system would be desirable.
    We just made some suggestions along those lines. They have sign-ups , but not lockouts, so they can check the basic safety training. They have staff that is supposed to monitor, but they can't be everywhere. We suggested more advanced classes, supervised mentor time, and a curated list of Youtube instructional videos. It's all a cost / time / benefit trade off.

A practical concern about a shared lathe is the tools. If you have shared tools, they will either never be sharp or horribly sharpened. Without a sharpening guru there will be much beginner frustration. Best would be if each user brought personal tools but that handicaps the person without resources. I know if visiting or mentoring there I would bring my own tools!
    Yup. For the wood lathe they now have a sharpening station, with Wolverine jigs, and sharpening classes. In general, the rule is users provide consumables and the shop provides machines. Hand tools are a gray area. Most serious users bring their own hand tools because the shop provided ones get beat. (Heck, I have my own Robust tool rests for the wood lathe, because I got tired of the shop's needing to be filed smooth.)

I guess I got a little off topic. I'm sure the OP's space has different requirements and will make different trade offs, but hopefully there's some useful things to consider here.