Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best position for a lathe in a woodshop: A question

Best position for a lathe in a woodshop: A question

Our Maker Space organization recently acquired a lathe from a generous donor.

The first and foremost question at hand is how to best position it in the woodworking area of our shop. I'm inclined to think it would be best to locate it up against a wall rather than standing free in the middle of the shop.

Hopefully someone on this forum could provide some guidance.

Thanks You
    Rick
    I'm only responsible for what I say, not for how it is understood

Hey Rick,

Lathes can throw shavings a long way, contaminating anything near them. I would aim for placing it in it's own space - maybe with a divider to keep the shavings contained. Also keep in mind that those shavings need to be removed so make sure there is easy access to the area you will be dumping your shavings.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

I "second" putting the lathe in its own space AND not against the wall. My first lathe was against a wall. My 2nd lathe is in the middle of my shop. Sometimes when I'm hollowing I will go to the other side of the lathe to get better access. Also, when hollowing it is better to have your arms close to your body rather than stretched way out. If you can't get to the backside, then you have your arms way out.

And if you DO need to put it near a wall, angle it so that the tail end is away from the wall. Think about a pool table and where anything "launched" from the lathe is going to go. Many people have been hit by a piece that hits the wall and bounces straight back at them. My lathe is in the middle of the room and I have a workbench behind me while I am turning. I would love curtains, but my shop has 12' high walls with no ceiling (just rafters) which creates a bit of a problem.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I do flat work as well. My lathe is in a dedicated room and up against a wall. I guess part of where you put it depends on size, and I have an American Beauty, and can generate 2 50 gallon trash bags full of shavings in a day. It does help containment of the shavings. If you have a mini lathe, then bench top would probably be fine.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    And if you DO need to put it near a wall, angle it so that the tail end is away from the wall. Think about a pool table and where anything "launched" from the lathe is going to go. Many people have been hit by a piece that hits the wall and bounces straight back at them. My lathe is in the middle of the room and I have a workbench behind me while I am turning. I would love curtains, but my shop has 12' high walls with no ceiling (just rafters) which creates a bit of a problem.
    Thom,
    I also have 12 ft ceiling in my shop. I installed cables wall to wall about 6 or 7 ft from the floor to hang shower curtains. I anchored the cables to wall studs and tightened them with turnbuckles. Works great.

I have 12' ceilings also. I'm in the midst or a lathe redo, but plan on hanging a 3/4" conduit from the rafters chain. I don't think it will be a problem with movement opening and closing because of the"swing" of the chain
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm not fond of the idea of having the unit against the wall but I hate the thought of the mess it would make in the middle of the shop.

My latest brainstorm is to put a tarp around 3 sides of a rolling scaffold that we have stored against a wall near the lathe and use it as a "shroud". I figure that when someone wants to use the lathe they can simply roll the "shroud" into position over/around the lathe. There is a dust collector port adjacent to wher the lathe is located so between the shroud and the DC the mess should be minimized (or at least localized).

Any thought about this idea?
    I'm only responsible for what I say, not for how it is understood

I think that against a wall is a poor location for a lathe, but lots of friends have there lathe near a wall. I often stand on the backside while hollowing. If it has a sliding head-stock and there is room to work at the end, against a wall can work. In a shop where other people may be working at the same time someone is turning, some separation would be a good idea, perhaps a partition wall creating a booth type space.

Against a wall for me

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hubbard View Post
    Thanks for the advice.

I'm not fond of the idea of having the unit against the wall but I hate the thought of the mess it would make in the middle of the shop.

My latest brainstorm is to put a tarp around 3 sides of a rolling scaffold that we have stored against a wall near the lathe and use it as a "shroud". I figure that when someone wants to use the lathe they can simply roll the "shroud" into position over/around the lathe. There is a dust collector port adjacent to wher the lathe is located so between the shroud and the DC the mess should be minimized (or at least localized).

Any thought about this idea?
    For me wall space in the shop is extremely valuable. I believe the decision to put it against the wall or out in the room my depends on your style, preference, and what you like to turn. Some of those who want to do a lot of hollowing like to have more space. Those that don't are may be happy with the lathe against the wall. If the lathe is one that has a sliding headstock (Jet 1642, PM3520, etc) you can possibly do both - put it next to a short wall section and when more access is needed slide the headstock down to the open end.

I turn a big variety of things and I want my lathes against the wall. I make good use of the wall to hold tools, supplies, and task light fixtures. The wall stops all the shavings from going in that direction and many fall into a tub I have below the lathe. My 6" dust collector duct comes down the wall and needs only a short piece of flex to position the pickup. While I enjoy turning smaller things, I have zero problem with hollowing, turning large platters, big bowls, long spindles, etc.

I have also had my lathe arranged with the lathe more in the middle of the room with the wall behind me. However, I like a workbench behind me. Without a workbench very close I'm forever using the lathe bed as a work bench to hold things, work on chucks, mix epoxy, etc.

This is the layout of my new shop showing the two walls for the turning space. The lathe space at the top is not a closed room, it's three sides with the fourth open into the main shop. I'm usually the only one in the shop but if I allowed something big to come off the lathe at high speed it would likely be constrained to bouncing around the lathe space.

shop_floorplan_lathe_space.jpg

A recent photo of the primary lathe and it's wall. Everything I use the most is with arm's reach.

lathe_PM2_Jan17_IMG_5751.jpg

This is the chip tub:

lathe_PM_tub.jpg

I built two walls specifically to define a turning "space" and to hang tools. I have this lathe against a wall that extends out into the shop. When I'm standing at the first lathe this lathe and wall is behind me. If I slide the headstock on this lathe to the end of the bed there is free space all around it.

lights_IMG_20160811_092917_.jpg

If it would work in your building, a simple 2x4 wall or two is very quick and easy to construct. I would leave space for a future second lathe. You might otherwise consider constructing a couple of free-standing plywood partitions with sturdy frame bases. I like the wall space behind the lathe so much that in my previous tiny garage space I simply leaned a 4x8 sheet of plywood against the back of my radial arm saw and used it as a wall to hold things.

If you have the lathe against the wall OR out in the middle of the room instead of a tarp you can also contain the chip mess with some heavy plastic curtains hanging from the ceiling or a frame made of pipe or something. Clear plastic industrial curtains would let the light in and "feel" more open.

JKJ

I had a very high slanted ceiling on previous shop and hung using cord a 1" thinwall conduit at 8' height and bought the 8' long shower curtains from Amazon. I had the curtains just touch the floor to help contain the flying shavings. I found that the standard 6' high curtains were not tall enough and the rod was also at my head height at 6'. My current shop only has 8' ceiling so I use 7' shower curtains again from Amazon. One section of curtain is attached to rod using spring clamps to make curtain removable to open up space. I wish I could find the vented curtains like found in hospitals to knock down the large shavings but allow air passage near ceiling.

I've got the lathe centered at the front of the shop in a good sized area. The ceiling is sloped front back in that area from about 14' to 8'. I like being able to open up the doors in front, and the access it gives to the other side of the lathe. There's a visqueen curtain 10' high on three sides running on curtail tracks from Ikea to save the rest of the space from shavings. I do a little flat work, so the rest of the shop is pretty well spoken for.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hubbard View Post
    Our Maker Space organization recently acquired a lathe from a generous donor. ....
    Lots of ideas here, but I don't see one aspect of your situation being addressed directly. I assume your space will be shared and in our shared space one of the big concerns is how to contain accidents. In practice compromises need to be made, but I've always thought in a corner at 45-degrees to both walls would be an ideal position. (With enough space to comfortably use the lathe of course.) I figure any "launch" would have to ricochet of a wall, and lose momentum, before it reached another user.

Of course, fully enclosed would be even better.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    Lots of ideas here, but I don't see one aspect of your situation being addressed directly. I assume your space will be shared and in our shared space one of the big concerns is how to contain accidents. In practice compromises need to be made, but I've always thought in a corner at 45-degrees to both walls would be an ideal position. (With enough space to comfortably use the lathe of course.) I figure any "launch" would have to ricochet of a wall, and lose momentum, before it reached another user.

Of course, fully enclosed would be even better.
    I tried to address that, but perhaps not clearly, when describing my turning area with walls on three sides. (" I'm usually the only one in the shop but if I allowed something big to come off the lathe at high speed it would likely be constrained to bouncing around the lathe space.") Positioning the lathe parallel to the two parallel walls, either against or away from a wall, could avoid a launch into the larger shared space.

The hazard of dangerous projectiles goes up with turners not experienced in secure work holding, appropriate speed, and catch elimination. Once in junior high (yes, I'm old enough to go to school in the era when all schools had shop classes) a fellow student launched a bowl which after finally hitting the floor bounced out through a 3rd story glass window and was never seen again.

JKJ

You mentioned this was a maker space. Not sure about yours, but the ones around here are open to anyone, with any experience level. Most are beginners, most people here use maker spaces to use machines they don't have and can't afford, or machines they are thinking about getting.

On your lathe:
    1) what lathe is it? or what type of late is it? (A small lathe will not have as many risks as a large lathe. ex. a VB36 may require some thinking)
    2) what tools will come with it? (spindle, bowl or both)
    3) what type of holding jigs (chucks, faceplates, etc) will be provided? ( you might think about labeling the tools, and write "do not use on bowl" on the roughing gouge :-) )
    4) what type of safety gear is provided with the lathe. Most people will have safety glasses, but probably not face masks or helmets for bigger things.
    5) is your place setup with a central dust collection for sanding on lathe?

On your maker space:
    - Does your space require any training time before someone uses a machine?
    - Does your space provide training for tools?
    - how crowded is your space? are there people often waiting on machines?
    - is there a profile for the people that use this space? (careful to "hey, watch this....")

Maker spaces are great, and the chance to use new tools are great. We have a nice one with some cnc tools and welders that open up doors for people.

The answer to the questions above may help guide from "drop it anywhere" to "put it in a separate room, with steel bars on the walls to catch the flyers" :-)

most of all have fun..

Michael
    Last edited by Michael Schneider; 06-03-2017 at 9:45 AM.