Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bookmatch walnut table

bookmatch walnut table

A final fit check on a walnut bookmatch table I am finishing up. The base is hard maple dyed black and designed by the owner.

And one of the first figured/burl mesquite humidors I am finishing up. This is from a section of the log that had moderate figure. I have some pieces with a much denser burl character that should be pretty crazy when finished.

Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Beautiful work on both projects!!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Man that's awesome the figure in the walnut is killer.The mesquite burl is very special too.
    Did you happen to use epoxy to glue the book match top together?I bet that took a hundered clamps.
    Aj

Beautiful work Alex, I love the finish on the table.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I like them both... What is the finish on the table? Could we get a look at the inside of the humidor?
    david

Blog Entries
    Very nice. The simple black base really lets the slab show off. Just the right amount of gloss for my taste on a table as well.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Beautiful on both projects, Alex!
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

alsx, what kind of dye did you use on the table base ? I like the look alot.

Tonal, just black transtint dye on the base.

David, the finish is a 1lb cut of shellac sprayed in 2 thin coats then maybe 6-8 coats of wipe on poly. I stopped after about 4 coats, let it cure about 5 days then sanded it with 600 grit to remove any wiping marks then did 2 more very careful coats to keep any wiping marks off. I like wipe on finishes, but the marks are a pain to avoid on a larger flat, high gloss surface. I'll post some pics of the humidor inside when I get it finished.

Andrew, yeah I use epoxy. I could never get a perfect flat joint that big on larger slabs to have a perfect contact the length of the joint to use normal PVA glue. The epoxy allows me some slack in the joint not being perfect. And it won't shrink or swell like normal glue. The clamping wasn't bad. I had 3 sets of cauls to keep it flat and only 4 clamps pulling the two pieces together. It had about a dozen demons between the slabs, each alternating demon being adjusted in high to offer maximum stiffness at the joint.

Alex, very nice!! Would you mind showing and comenting on the base construction? I picked up a similar piece of cherry last time at the mill and i was thinking of doing a bookmatch table. My shop is outfitted for cabinets and i have only done a couple of tables and i really like your base.

the base is a simple breakdown. I use bed rail hardware for the two stretchers so that it can be installed tool free. Then the top is secured by threaded inserts and machine bolts. This lets is be easily mounted and the bolt through holes in the base are oversized to allow the slab a little freedom of movement for seasonal shrinking/swelling.

Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Awesome, thanks alex. Its so much easier to see the design now. This type of design is definitely more my speed. Bed hardware, now that is something i never would have thought to use. Now my mind is cranking away. Honestly figuring out how to conceal fasteners in a piece that needs to be disassembled
    has been challenging for me as my background is in historical home restoration and custom work. This is why i love this site! Thanks

Color and grain spectacular on both pieces. Real good stuff!

Alex, fantastic work!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by alex grams View Post
    It had about a dozen demons between the slabs, each alternating demon being adjusted in high to offer maximum stiffness at the joint.
    Very beautiful work Alex. I'm new to the site but not to woodworking and I have never heard of a "demon" before. Would you mind explaining what they are?

Thanks
    Pete