Thread: Bronze glaze cabinets

Bronze glaze cabinets

The customer is always right... Grr

I'm tasked with try to replicate a "Holden bronze glaze" finish on a set of kitchen cabinets. Definitely not what I would have picked, but told them I'd look into it.

Has anyone done this before, and want to offer advice? Screenshot is following, but it looks to me like spray a base coat, wipe glaze on the profiles, then a clear coat of some sort. Am I close? Screenshot_20170601-170225.jpg

It's about what I would do. You will have to experiment a bit with product selection because you need the glaze to stick but not so well that you can't finish wipe it before it sticks to everything. Also make allowance for the clear coat to change the colour of your base coat. All clears have colour from district amber to almost invisible. Use what works but adjust the base coat colour accordingly. Cheers

Thanks Wayne. I'd not considered the "clear" topcoat changing the color, excellent point. That bronze glaze step has me worried the most. I really don't want it to end up looking like someone smeared brown goop all over the cabinets and it stained it. I was thinking the key is going to be a really good job with the white coat first. Going to have some experimenting to do. It'll be MDF probably, so at least test stock is cheap.

I don't think you'll have problems with the glaze looking like it was smeared on if the paint job underneath is good.

I'll be interested to see how it goes for you. Please let us know.

John

Turning your spray gun pressure and fluid right down and closing up the fan may work to spray the bronze. You dust it in. If too wet it won't colour internal angles. An airbrush might work too. No guarantees, but something to consider. Get it right and you have a competitive edge for future work. Cheers

Didn't think of spraying on the glaze, I like that idea. I'm planning on catalyzed primer, and conversion varnish. This whole process will be a learning experience, will be interesting even if it is a failure.