Thread: Best option for a one day finish for Chechen

Blog Entries

Best option for a one day finish for Chechen

Wife just saw this 10x6 inch cutoff of Chechen and asked me to turn it into a stand for a piece of art for her show, only the show if day after tomorrow.
    What would you suggest that can be found at a hardware store?
    I got a rocker hvlp spray system recently, still I'm box, if that helps

Thank you for saving my rear end!

Fitzhugh - I see no replies yet. I have no experience with Chechen, but if I had a job this small, and it needed to be done fast, I'd use rattle-can shellac or lacquer from the hardware store. Saves much time from setting up your own sprayer.

I have had quick dry results from Formsbys Tung oil, like an hour from application to drying. Its probably more a varnish that is thinned down than tung oil, but it does ok.

Rattle can spray finish. Shellac or spray lacquer will be the fastest drying.

Almost any waterborne system can be done in a day if the temp and rh are ok (should be in CA) if you want to give your unboxed HVLP a try :-)

Wipe on shellac or spray can lacquer are the ones I'd use.

John

Blog Entries
    Thanks, sorry for not updating sooner. I ended up just waxing it because I didn't get home in time to do anything else. With that piece of wood being used for that purpose, it actually seemed to work out well.

A lady who bought a different piece liked that stand and asked that I make something similar for her piece. I finally had an excuse to check out the lumber mill in Oakland that mills urban lumber, Ponderosa Sawmill Works, and picked up a bay Laurel live edge board. Wonderful selection and super friendly folk.

Anyhow, I'm just about to go get a bit of each of the suggestions and see what works out on test pieces... the beginning of filling in this big hole in my woodworking knowledge.

Thanks for the good advice.