Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Kreg Accu-Cut

New Kreg Accu-Cut

Kreg posed on Facebook they are about to introduce a guided saw system. $79 retail price.

For woodworkers who have used a trac-saw or the like, what are your first impressions of this?
    Only 48" cut.
    Is it any better than a homemade setup?

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

The video shows two tracks together so I'm sure it will rip a full sheet of plywood. It would be stupid to introduce a competitor to track saws that didn't.

If you already have a circular saw you like then this seems like a good way to go. I have the Makita system and like it a lot but if I didn't have it and did have a saw then I would probably go this route and save a ton of cash. The Makita doesn't do anything this doesn't do except the Makita saw has a score-cut feature that I never use.

The video says it cuts about 48". The best part of it is that it has a no chip strip. Looks like a great alternative for sheet goods, considering the price. If it is a success, I imagine Kreg will release longer rails also.

EDIT: If you look at their video (11 seconds in) they show briefly, but clearly that the 48" track IS two separate tracks with joining bars. I see no reason to think they could not add more 2' sections.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 06-02-2017 at 8:42 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Even if they don't sell a longer track then it would be easy enough to make your own joiners. I'm sure Kreg will sell the track by itself (without the sled) or maybe buy two and adapt the second sled for a router or something. It's still way cheaper than a track saw system that includes the saw.

So I just checked the Kreg site and sure enough it says it only cuts a maximum of 48" and no mention of joining tracks. I would contact them and see if they plan to make a track joiner and then see. If there wasn't a way to join two tracks to rip a full sheet of plywood I wouldn't buy it no matter how much money I was saving. The whole reason I use a track saw is to break down plywood sheets to make them manageable for my table saw. I know a lot of guys use them instead of a table saw and they make finish cuts with them. Even so, if you can't cut more than 48" then you'd be very limited.

Kreg link: https://www.kregtool.com/store/c48/s...p425/accu-cut/

Blog Entries
    The advantage over my shop made guide is that the saw is held in position left-to-right. My guide requires that I hold the saw against the side rail. This has not been a problem but, not having to manually control that plane would make things easier.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Paul K. Johnson View Post
    If you already have a circular saw you like then this seems like a good way to go.
    I agree. If you already own a good circ saw, why not try it for the price? (I have the dewalt track saw.)

Blog Entries
    It looks like something I would be interested in. Would like to be able to rip a 8 ft. sheet of plywood.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Sure, it could work just fine. Dust collection will be terrible, like it is with every non-track saw circular saw. And I love the tear out at 23 seconds in the video. That looks realistic. I'd suggest saving your money for a decent or good track saw. But if its just never going to be in the budget or you cant wait that long, this might be yet another viable substitute for a track saw option out there.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Blog Entries

saw guide

I have an old saw guide I use occasionally. I it is similar to this. It is two 48 " sections. It works.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Genesis-2...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds

You also can make a plywood guide. I made one for an eight foot sheet of plywood, but a 48" one is handier. You lay out a 12" wide strip of plywood and nail a 1/2" X 3"
    strip of plywood in the center and then rip the cutting edge with your saw. I used it for years before getting a table saw.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 06-02-2017 at 11:46 AM.

Looks similar to the true track and EZ smart systems. It would be interesting to compare them.

For job site or home outdoor projects could be useful with a battery saw. Might try it with my Makita although the blade is on the left so would be using it "backwards".
    Not much use inside as no dust collection.
    Acceptable price at $79 to try it.
    Wonder how finicky it is to remount the saw? Does it hold the last saw position or do you have to recalibrate it every time?
    Would think additional rails would be coming. Could use a short rail for construction framing stuff and an additional long rail with joining rods.
    Last edited by Peter Kuhlman; 06-02-2017 at 1:04 PM.

That thing is nearly useless. If a tracksaw rig can't cut a straight line for eight feet, it is a toy. And that's odd. Kreg usually sells stuff that is pretty useful, like their pocket-screw stuff.

For ripping a full sheet of ply Kreg has the Kreg Rip Cut

https://www.kregtool.com/store/c48/s.../rip-cuttrade/
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Sure, it could work just fine. Dust collection will be terrible, like it is with every non-track saw circular saw. And I love the tear out at 23 seconds in the video. That looks realistic. I'd suggest saving your money for a decent or good track saw. But if its just never going to be in the budget or you cant wait that long, this might be yet another viable substitute for a track saw option out there.
    The question was "Is it any better than a homemade setup?". I don't think Dave thought it was a sub-$100 Festool ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler