Thread: Glue for cork

Glue for cork

I'm trying to glue 1/16" cork onto the bottom of coasters. My first inclination would be to use contact cement, but I'd very much prefer something that did not require applying glue to both surfaces. The standard 3M spray adhesive I tried wasn't strong enough, the extra-strength (#90) stuff says to apply to both surfaces. (I'm testing it one-surface-only, but it's pretty messy.)

Any suggestions?

I've used the 3M "90" to apply cork to a piece of wood to make a sanding block. Yes, it is messy, and I did spray it on both materials, but it the adhesive worked. You need to make a little "spray booth" (a large carton works well) to contain the excess spray.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen Benkin
    I've used the 3M "90" to apply cork to a piece of wood to make a sanding block. Yes, it is messy, and I did spray it on both materials, but it the adhesive worked. You need to make a little "spray booth" (a large carton works well) to contain the excess spray.
    Problem is, I'm trying to glue a 3/4" wide cork "doughnut" with an outer diameter about 3/8" smaller than the coaster (which has radiused edges). If I have to apply the adhesive to the coaster, I'd have to mask off that edge and the internal circle...bad enough for a brush-on contact cement, no fun at all for spray. Plus, I have to be able to clean off any squeeze-out without buggering up the lacquer finish.

Bill - how about a piece of 1/4" scrap plywood (or something) with a hole of the appropriate diameter cut into it. Also attach two small scraps to it such that when the coaster rests on the scraps the area to be glued is centered on the hole. Hold it there while you spray from t'other side.
    Only the Blue Roads

Ok, think I got it: despite what the directions say, the 3M #90 works fine for this application applied one-sided. The nozzle on the can leaves something to be desired: hardest part is not getting too much glue on the cork. I'm just waiting now for the squeeze-out to harden (assuming/hoping it does).

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm also going to look for some adhesive-backed cork sheets of sufficient size for the next batch.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm also going to look for some adhesive-backed cork sheets of sufficient size for the next batch.
    Packard has some round ones - coaster size. Bought some on spec a while ago but haven't used yet.
    Only the Blue Roads

I use standard Titebond to glue cork to plywood for lazy susan bases without a problem.