Thread: Identification Help Needed Please

Identification Help Needed Please

Going through the barn and we found this cute little Sargent plane. Anyone know anything about this one? It works nice so I'm keeping it but I would like to know more about it. Can't seem to load a pic of it. Get.0602172128a~2.jpgww
    Last edited by Carolyn Lebl; 06-02-2017 at 11:06 PM.

Without a picture, I can only imagine what you've got; although "cute" implies that it's not a 24" long jointer plane. You might find this page helpful: http://www.sargent-planes.com/

Generally, to post a picture, you need to use a photo hosting service like Photobucket, get your picture size right, then click on the "image" box above (little square thing with tags at the corners and what looks like a tiny little picture of a tree, above your text box when posting); then paste in the public version of the picture's location.

Blog Entries
    Another way to post is to save a copy of the picture with your image viewing application/program. Most of these have a way of compressing the picture or hae a quality control. The image has to be less than ~1.4MB to work with SMC's picture posting software.

My preference is to post them on SMC so if someone is looking at a post years from now the pictures won't be blank pages.

When you do get to taking a picture include a ruler so we can see the size.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

0602172128a~2.jpg I figured out how to post the picture.
    Carolyn Lebl

Texas Duratile, LLC
    USA Laser Pro

Carolyn,

It looks like it could be a Sargent #5217 block plane. If you go to the site Bill lists, above, you will see that the 5217 was made between 1943 and 1946, and was 7&1/2 inches long. The size doesn't look like a prefect match, but it may be hard to tell from the photo.

There is more detail in the picture on the site, and you can look at it to see how well it matches. See: http://www.sargent-planes.com/sargent-5217-block-plane/

Sargent was like Stanley and they had a lot of block planes, and many of them may have been quite similar. I didn't look at all of them, but if you click on the "Planes and Spokeshaves" bar near the top of the page a ton of different planes comes up.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 06-03-2017 at 12:06 AM.