Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 15-20K for shop overhaul. Need ideas and what would you buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Joshua, I would sell the jointer, planer, belt sander, tablesaw and mitre saw.

I would buy a 12" or 16" combination jointer/planer and a sliding saw/shaper combination with scoring saw and stock feeder.

You'll have far better capabilities, capacities and features, as well as more room............Regards, Rod.
    I agree with Rod...this is an opportunity to change the way you work while optimizing space and workflow in what is honestly a relatively small space. What he suggests gives you "big capacities" without using all of the available floor space as well as providing some accuracy and precision. Yes, there will be a learning experience, but many of us who have made the same transition would "never go back".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries

My advice is to think about the first, say, 5 projects you want to make, think through the steps, and buy the tools that you will need to complete those projects. Buy good quality machines, but if you can, save $5k of your cash for a while. You don't sound new to woodworking, but you may learn some things about what tools you need after working through this first set of projects, and it would stink to spend your budget on machines you don't need and not have cash left to buy the ones you do need.

Now as for my specific opinions based on the way I work... My bias is to really invest in the machines that you will use for every project. In my shop, essentially every workpiece touches the jointer, planer, table saw, and a random orbital sander... and the dust collector and shop vac, just in small pieces.

Those are the core of my shop. Those are machines you don't want to cheap out on, in my opinion.

The next tier machines is the bandsaw, router table, handheld router, drum sander, and drill press. But I use those tools much less often than the "tier 1" tools... but of these, the bandsaw is my next most important machine.

But I think the most important thing is to not spend your money on machines simply because you saw them on new yankee workshop or The Wood Whisperer's youtube channel. That's a quick way to waste your money. Buy them based on your personal interests and your preferred work.

Congrats on being able to actually do what many woodworkers only dream about!

A drum sander is great for evening out glue ups (invaluable for those of us who do segmented turning) but with a domino set up, your joints on your flat work should be perfect. A drum sander is a space eater for folks who do primarily flat work.

certainly add a shaper to your list. A router table just can't handle the moldings and cabinet doors it sounds like you want to build.

Consider lumber storage, as well. Think about whether you are the wood hoarding type (my hand is raised) or the kind of guy who buys what he needs for each project and uses it all up....

There are three things no one has mentioned yet that are CRITICAL for a good shop IMO....

1. Build or buy (sacrilege) a quality work bench. You need real estate to lay out all those panels you're building. Build your shop around your work bench first. If you can also have an assembly table, you'll be very happy.

2. get yourself a damn good air compressor and plumb air outlets to your work bench and around the shop.

3. Outlets, outlets, outlets, in the floor, in the ceiling, along every wall every couple of feet, and as many dedicated circuit breakers as you can wire up.

Thanks for all of the feedback guys. I am seriously considering a Hammer or Minimax J/P combo unit. It seems like a no brainer given the space constraints and need for jointer and thicknesser anyways (I do have a lunchbox style planer that I am not totally happy with).

I hope I didn't mislead anyone by saying I was building cabinets. That is not the only thing I build and plan to build, but just the first priority due to a new house. Would this change the recommendation to omit the drum sander? It seems that is not a popular item and I can see bother pros and cons for having it.

Drum sanders are "just the thing" for some types of projects and "meh" for others. I had one and didn't use it very much. The space it took up was worth more to me for other activities so I sold it and don't miss it. But it's an essential tool for many woodworkers/cabinetmakers, so "what you do" matters relative to if the tool is going to be important to you.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

have you ever tried a card scraper i just do this as a hobby but i find the card scraper that fastest way to get a finish ready surface

Quote Originally Posted by David T gray View Post
    have you ever tried a card scraper i just do this as a hobby but i find the card scraper that fastest way to get a finish ready surface
    I have not, but will check into that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post

Also, I'd lose the drum sander. Unlessl you get up to a real widebelt, drum sanders are toys.
    I have a miniature drum sander (Byrnes) that made it possible to make very accurate small parts that I had a lot of trouble controlling the thickness of before. But it's only 6" wide and requires a push-stick.

Because of what it's done for me I've pretty much decided that a larger one is definitely going to be in my shop one day.

So I'm wondering why you say they are "toys". What's the problem with them and what do you use instead?

I had a Performax 16-32 drum sander. Liked it at first, but ended up hating it an selling it. More trouble than what it was worth. Ended up finding a good deal on a 37" Woodmaster. Though the Woodmaster isn't in the same category as a real wide belt, it does a very good job, stays calibrated, and is very dependable. I use it on almost every project.

Only Gripe I have with my CU 300 Combo is the Changeover from Sawing to Planing.
    Get the J/P to share the Byrd Head.
    Get the Saw/Shaper to share the Slider.
    Don't Look Back.

Now a Bandsaw...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul K. Johnson View Post
    I have a miniature drum sander (Byrnes) that made it possible to make very accurate small parts that I had a lot of trouble controlling the thickness of before. But it's only 6" wide and requires a push-stick.

Because of what it's done for me I've pretty much decided that a larger one is definitely going to be in my shop one day.

So I'm wondering why you say they are "toys". What's the problem with them and what do you use instead?
    I don't agree with the "toy" label at all, and use my Jet 10-20 on just about every project. Very accurate, and zero tear-out.

Lot of good suggestions here. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is hand tools. How about a good set of chisels, rasps, router plane, marking knife, calipers, a couple of saws, etc. Its amazing how often you will use them. And, they will allow you to achieve a level of accuracy that machines just can't match.