Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 15-20K for shop overhaul. Need ideas and what would you buy?

15-20K for shop overhaul. Need ideas and what would you buy?

I am about to spend a lot of money and could use some advice. I've done a lot of research and came up with the tool list below, but that doesn't mean it cant be tweaked with some help from you guys. I am in the fortunate position of being able to spend a lot of money at once and start the shop over from scratch.

I will have a 24x20 space to use as my workshop. I can likely spend up to 20K for the overhaul. This will include all new tools, lighting, materials to build storage, etc.. I have a thickness planar, Sawstop TS, plenty of general hand tools and cordless power tools.

Immediate needs are tools to fabricate cabinets, desks, built-ins, etc.. for the house. So any suggestions or tips on what tools I should invest in to accomplish that would be much appreciated.

I've put this list together which puts me at around 14k total cost:

Jointer: Powermatic 1610082 8" Parallelogram w/ spiral head
    Jointer Base: Powermatic 1610078 Mobile Base
    Bandsaw: Laguna 1 4/12
    Drum Sander: Powermatic 2244
    Tracksaw: Festool TS 55
    Tracksaw Track: Festool 3000
    Tracksaw Clamps: Festool 494594
    Sander: Festool ETS 150
    Router: Festool OF 1400
    Paint Gun: Fuji HVLP Q5
    Domino: Festool DF 500
    Dust Collection: Festool CT 36 E
    Dust Collection: Clear Vue CV1800LH
    Miter Saw: Bosch GCM12SD

What items would you add/remove/replace?

What you need depends on what work you want to do.

You do have a TS55, which suggests you're doing some plywood work. For that, I'd add a table saw. The track saw is important for breaking down the plywood sheet, but a table saw is very helpful for smaller cuts.

Also, I'd lose the drum sander. Unlessl you get up to a real widebelt, drum sanders are toys.

And me, I'd be lost without a vacuum veneer press.
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 06-02-2017 at 5:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    What you need depends on what work you want to do.

You do have a TS55, which suggests you're doing some plywood work. For that, I'd add a table saw. The track saw is important for breaking down the plywood sheet, but a table saw is very helpful for smaller cuts.

Also, I'd lose the drum sander. Unlessl you get up to a real widebelt, drum sanders are toys.

And me, I'd be lost without a vacuum veneer press.
    Thanks. I do have a table saw already. Veneer press is a good idea.

Very tough to master plan an entire shop at once. I did it that way and it still took me a couple years of researching, buying, putting together, etc.

Right off the bat what catches my eye is be prepared to spend more on the ducting for a proper dust collection system than you did on the dust collector.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Agree on the drum sander - never needed one for cabinets. If you're building 32mm frameless then you may want to include an LR32 system or something similar depending on how many you build. And I had a SCMS for ages when I had a table saw - just gathered dust before I sold it. Do you have a drill press?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Giddings View Post
    Agree on the drum sander - never needed one for cabinets. If you're building 32mm frameless then you may want to include an LR32 system or something similar depending on how many you build. And I had a SCMS for ages when I had a table saw - just gathered dust before I sold it. Do you have a drill press?
    I'm sorry, what is SCMS?

I do have a drill press.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Bass View Post
    I'm sorry, what is SCMS?
    I believe it's Sliding Compound Miter Saw

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I believe it's Sliding Compound Miter Saw
    Yep, sorry about the TLA (Three letter acronyms) :-)

No mention of a planer.....? I evolved from a 6" jointer & 12" planer to a 12" J/P combo, and can't imagine now not being able to joint same as I can plane.

I can't imagine not having a router table in my shop, but YMMV. The 1400 isn't a great table router unless you're using it in Festool CMS, which IMHO is overpriced unless you need to be mobile. I'd factor in a nice router lift and 3hp motor (PC 7518), and perhaps a nice fence system (e.g. Incra).

Festool sanders multiply, just FYI.

What is the climate at the shop? You might want to invest a few thousand in insulation while the walls are open. Consider adding heat or cooling or both if needed. I would at least add a skylight which opens for venting. A sink is nice to have even if it just cold water.
    Bill D

I would replace the 8" jointer with a 16" jointer/planer combo, Minimax FS41 Elite; add a dedicated cast iron top router table with lift and dust collection (like General Excalibur or similar), would get the Festool Domino 700, not the 500. If you will be using a Festool TS55, its usefulness is increased many times over by the MFT3 table. Recommend two sets of leg cross braces for stability. Don't see a drill press on the list. Also you need to budget for the dust collection duct system (recommend Oneida/Nordfab style, but pricey), and electric supply/wiring upgrades. Just for starters....

I would ditch the drum sander.

Get a planer or wider JP combo.

For cabinets u will need a router table. If you will be doing a lot of molding projects consider instead a shaper.

Track saw is great but if you have a table saw then get rid of one of those and get a bandsaw???

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Giddings View Post
    Yep, sorry about the TLA (Three letter acronyms) :-)
    mmmmm TLA or FLA?

I had a Bosch SCMS. It was a great miter saw and I used it a lot....building houses but I no longer do that. In the shop it was replaced with a sliding table on the table saw and I have no regrets about selling the Bosch.

I would want a shaper and a power feeder would be nice for any amount of cabinet doors.

Skip the drum sander.

The track saw is a toss up. I can rip plywood on my table saw with roller tables by myself with no strain but I learned how to do it 50 years ago. Crosscut with a circle saw and straight edge. I did have a Festool 55 and sold it as I hardly ever used it.
    Larry