Thread: 20" disc sanders

20" disc sanders

Upgrading to a 20" disc sander from a PM 12"disc/6" belt combo. Generally, most new and older 20" sanders run at apx 1740 rpm. I have never really thought about that but that speed seems fast for WW applications? I know Steve Rowe aka "Extreme Woodworker" has a good YouTube vid on his 20" Jet with a VFD add-on to slow his down. And while I agree with him that the speed is too fast, I can't stop thinking why are they all so fast? And... are they really too fast. Looking at the specs of my 12"disc combo, it turns at 2300 rpm and I never once thought about the speed. For years, pattern makers have been fabricating patterns with these big sanders at 1700+ speeds so it must be fine????

Anyone with these larger disc sander opinions???
    Dave Kumm???

Thanks

I have had a woodtek 20" for nearly 10 years and it is 1720 RPM and have never had a need to go slower. I suspect it would be a nice to have but just never needed it.

John, One of the best things I've done was convert my disc/belt sander to vs. I'm old school and it all came about when I bought a porter cable vs ros. I realized what I'd been missing. If I was you I'd look for a 3 phase unit I could put a vfd on.

The ability to slow down speed and reverse direction can be quite handy sometimes,

Ron

I have a 37" dual disc. 900 rpm motor.

Kindt Collins made some of the best disk sanders. 24" is as small as I'd go as you can only use part of a disk and they sand unevenly from middle to end. The pot belly K-C is nice but the R series with the moveable table is better. Disk is 1/2" ground steel, balanced and on good bearings. Three phase with a vfd is the way to go to adjust speed and reverse. Dave

You can slow the speed by moving work piece towards center of sanding disc.

I own a Shopsmith and one of the best features is the variable speed. I can slow my belt and disk sander down (700 rpm or 100 rpm with the speed reducer attachment) ) and shape very small parts by hand.
    I always thought woodworking sanders run way too fast.
    I always thought a 20" disk sander was more of a metalworking tool ??????
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale