Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First new turning in over a year

First new turning in over a year

This is the first start-to-finish piece in well over a year. 8 3/4" tall three part construction and Drs Woodshop friction finish Beall buffed.
    the bell is big leaf maple and the base maple burl also western big leaf maple. The barley-twist stem is eastern hard maple.
    goblet.jpg
    Comments and critiques are welcome as always.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

2. Love the grain in that BLM, and the stem is superb! Hope you are doing well, Thom! Glad to see you back at the lathe a bit!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Thom, that is a beautiful piece. The choice of wood was great. I love the stem. So since I have no idea, how do you make the "twisted" stem?
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Quote Originally Posted by William C Rogers View Post
    Thom, that is a beautiful piece. The choice of wood was great. I love the stem. So since I have no idea, how do you make the "twisted" stem?
    Thanks for the complement. Barley twists are laid out by drawing a series of rings, usually spaced about 1 diameter apart, and a series of longitudinal lines forming a grid. then draw the spiral by drawing corner to corner and end to end. this line is then cut with a razor knife and carved away to form the two (or more) ropes. Here's a video by a master - Stuart Mortimer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm-wWjlAtTw

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Love the grain in that BLM, and the stem is superb! Hope you are doing well, Thom! Glad to see you back at the lathe a bit!
    Glad to be back. This blank has been sitting in my workbench for over a year turned as a cylinder! The best grain was about 1/3 of the way down which was the reason for the three part construction. So I also got an almost 3" box (in finishing process) and a blank for a 1 1/2" box out of the original blank!

The parts are nice and the overall is excellent. Well done. Great use of the wood.

excellent,,,,as Thomas said,,,well done,,!!!!

Really pretty work Thom. I too was gonna ask about the stem but I see you answered. That's phenomenal work. Beautiful wood too.
    USMC '97-'01

Beautiful work Thom! Very clean lines, wonderful grain and color - you should be proud of this one! Hope this means you are feeling better and will be turning more often.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Beautiful work Thom! Very clean lines, wonderful grain and color - you should be proud of this one! Hope this means you are feeling better and will be turning more often.
    Thanks Steve. Yes I'm feeling much better since I reduced one of the heart meds and we adjusted another. In addition I had my grandsons help clean some of the stuff "dumped" in the shop to a separate shed for storage so now I can walk around the shop again!! Still need to clean, but that is started and I got two more pieces (small boxes) out of the blank I cut the bowl from.
    Last edited by Thom Sturgill; 06-04-2017 at 11:02 AM. Reason: typos

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Canfield View Post
    The parts are nice and the overall is excellent. Well done. Great use of the wood.
    Thanks Thomas. I was really trying to get the best part of the blanks for the pieces on this one!

Thanks. I will have to admit that I was inspired by a piece I saw of FB. I had wanted to do a barley twist for a while, so I did!

Quote Originally Posted by jeff oldham View Post
    excellent,,,,as Thomas said,,,well done,,!!!!
    Thanks Jeff, I appreciate the compliment.

First rate all the way! I have sure missed seeing your work Thom and and glad to see you back turning.
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Very nice work as usual Thom. I'll be in PSL this month and looking forward to seeing everyone at the club.

Jay Mullins