Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Current Handsaw Info?

Steve,

Get a 10" to 12" carcass saw filed 12 to 14 PPI Rip. You can make a lot of furniture with that one saw. Cutting everything from small dovetails for keepsake boxes to tenons for chairs and side tables. After that saw everything else is for bragging rights . Not quite true but other saws just make it easier to build larger furniture or smaller dovetails.

ken

As someone with a full saw till of Bad Axe, LN, Andria, Gramercy, and Veritas saws filed both rip and crosscut can tell you, ninety percent of the time I reach for the Bad Axe 12" rip filed carcass saw for whatever I'm sawing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Steve,

You might want to re-think the crosscut filed saw. A rip filed saw is much more useable in the high TPI you find in back saws and if it is to be used for dovetails or tenons it is much preferred. In fact there is little need for a crosscut filed back saw.

ken
    +1 on this. A rip cut saw will crosscut better than a crosscut saw will rip.

BTW, my dovetail saws get called to duty a lot on small cuts on the bench top.

One of your first projects should be a set of bench hooks.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I'm really confused now. Isn't the goal to have one or two saws of each?

Ok, so we're talking about a Tenon (rip) saw instead of a Carcass (crosscut) saw for starters? LN only has Dovetail (rip), Carcass (crosscut) and Tenon (rip) saws. All other premium makes have a long lead time.

I think the long leadtimes you're seeing is because of the recent woodworking shows.

some BadAxe saws look to be available @ Highland Woodworker
    Lie Nielsen saws should be available (I've got a small crosscut and also a crosscut carcass saw)
    Gramercy saws are available from TFWW (I have the dovetail and the sash saws)
    Cosman's saws look to be available, either at his website or through Woodcraft

Matt

Blog Entries
    Let's really get this string riled up and start talking about D7 and D8 Disstons, just kidding.

I was planning on purchasing the LN saw(s) from Craftsman Studio but I just received an email from them that they are completely out of stock but plan to get a new shipment in July. I'll try the only other dealer, Highland Woodworking tomorrow.

Just found out an interesting spec difference between the LN tapered and non-tapered saws. The later all have a 25% thicker plate than the tapered version, which LN refers to in one their videos as a higher performance blade. Why does a thinner blade make it higher performance?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    I was planning on purchasing the LN saw(s) from Craftsman Studio but I just received an email from them that they are completely out of stock but plan to get a new shipment in July. I'll try the only other dealer, Highland Woodworking tomorrow.
    Why not buy directly from Lie-Nielsen? There are no stocking distributors where I live, so all of my LN purchases are directly from them.

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/nodes/4067/saws

Just found out an interesting spec difference between the LN tapered and non-tapered saws. The later all have a 25% thicker plate than the tapered version, which LN refers to in one their videos as a higher performance blade. Why does a thinner blade make it higher performance?
    Is there any reason you wouldnt just buy direct from LN? Does it save you shipping or something?

Thinner saw plates may be considered higher performance because there is less resistance (less saw in the cut). But that's a guess.

Blog Entries
    My first LN saw was a dovetail saw bought at a show. I have more of their saws I bought from the
    Lie Nielsen site. Why would you not buy from Lie Nielsen directly?

Yes, shipping cost was a consideration. Craftsman Studio, my first choice has free shipping and is also on the left side of the country. If Highland is also out of stock I'll contact LN directly.

Yes, shipping cost was a consideration. Craftsman Studio, my first choice has free shipping and is also on the left side of the country. If Highland is also out of stock I'll contact LN directly.
    Hard to argue with free shipping! I didnt know that about C.S. Thanks for the tip!
    Fred

I agree with the comments above. If you want to do hand cut tenons and dovetails, the rip will be the better choice. I have a few Veritas crosscut for smaller bench work and tenon shoulders, but my LN tenon saw (rip) and dovetail saws get used the most for joinery.

If your desire is to learn how to cut dovetails, then purchase a dovetail saw. It is filed to handle ripping operations which is most of the cuts that are done while dovetailing. The cuts runs in the same direction as the grain with a rip saw filing. Tenon saws are going to be larger and used for creating the shoulders of tenons, hence the saw being filed for ripping. It would be rather cumbersome to learn dovetails with a saw that has a larger plate like a tenon saw.

Carcass saws are used in the application of cutting across the grain. So after the angled cuts of the dovetail are made the carcass saw would cut the two shoulders of the dovetail. Carcass saws are good when you're creating dados is case work that will be plowed out later with a router plane.

I have the Lie-Nielson dovetail and carcass saws, both are great for there intended purpose and at least with Lie-Nielson there isn't a one trick pony saw that will handle both tasks of ripping or cross cutting well.

Bad Axe has their Hy-Breed filing on there saws that works in both applications of cross and rip cutting. But most of their saws go in the $300 range depending on what you choose. They do have some saws in stock that are ready to ship immediately.

Blog Entries
    You can cut rip or cross grain with the Lie Nielsen saws. They cut a bit smoother if you have both saws.
    The LN dovetail saw cuts cross grain adequately. When I learned to do dovetails, we only had the the
    dovetails saw and I did not know the difference.

It's nice to have both saws, but you can get by with the dovetail saw until you acquire the tenon saw.
    Lie Nielsen saws tend to multiply like rabbets. I have three of them.