Thread: Long wall side table

Long wall side table

Hi guys.
    Who have such long tables in workshop like me?
    20170604_172748.jpg

I've came to idea that it is absolutely useless as worktable. All work anyway occured on central worktable and these tables always turned to tool storage...not so convenient storage. All this could be kept on shelves and wallholders but step by step tools migrate to table and lay there thorougly mixed with dust.

I am thinking about total destroying this one and make some smaller movable work stations.

Sorry for my weak english, I hope you'll understand what I meant.

Vlad,
    What you are experiencing is commonly referred to as "horizontal surface syndome". Any flat, horizontal surface in a woodshop has an unknown dynamic force that attracts all manor of tools and whatnot and then holds these items hostage. It is an inevitable reality that requires constant vigilance to combat. One must embrace, on a consistent basis, having designated spot for each and every tool in the shop and commit to returning all items to their "homes" after each usage or they will gang up, create unions and eventually disappear or fall into disrepair.

BTW - your english is just fine, you communicated very clearly the dilemma that plagues your current shop. Fight back, organize both your workplace and procedures.

Regards - Bill

I brought to my shop one more machine and deficite of place became more perceptible.

cnc111.jpg

I was thinking about conception of my workspace and understand I was wrong with this table. It will be disassembled closest time
    Last edited by Vlad Evdokimov; 06-04-2017 at 3:03 PM.

Always makes me laugh how so many woodworkers love to build stuff, except for storage in their shops.

It is amazing how they will build some half baked "bench" to go along the wall and never ever think to put a few drawers underneath it, or even some shelves. Oh no, just pile the junk under it, much better.

I am not Mr. Totally Organized by far, but all my stuff has a place that it belongs in. Example, power hand tools have a cubby hole cabinet that hangs along side my wall bench. Every tool I own has its own home in there. It is about one step from my bench. Sure, when I am building something I might have three or four of the tools parked in various places. But at the end of the day back they go.

The pictures I do laugh at are the ones where I see all sorts of pieces of scrap, tubing, electrical cords all over the floor. How someone can work in that kind of mess is beyond me. But, to each his own.

I also made places for tools but nevertheless they smoothly migrate to these tables.
    Like Bill said before - "horizontal surface syndome".

ALL surfaces will be filled by things uniformly.

Of course it is easier to throw tool on table except finding regular place. After work I do sorting. On table all the same remained unsorted things which hasn't place. Some of them get space with time but all this because regular places isn't convenient really.

The question is - how to organize work space to avoid this "horizontal surface syndome", but not by everyday cleaning and sorting but higher level of organization. To exclude very cause of this.
    Last edited by Vlad Evdokimov; 06-04-2017 at 5:33 PM.

It requires new habits. These take time to develop. Whenever I pause to change tasks I put away things. It seems to take time but at the end of the day it takes the same time.

I am just grateful to see a photo of another shop that looks like mine.