Thread: 6" Ridgid jointer screech

6" Ridgid jointer screech

My 6" Ridgid jointer now makes a high pitch screech. It starts when the jointer comes to full speed and immediately stops when the motor is shut off. Suggestions?

Sounds like the cutter head bearings are shot or the drive belt has glazed over. More than likely it's the bearings.

I think that the sound does not come from the cutter head. Also - when the motor is turned off the sound immediately stops. Maybe it is the belt...

Belt slip is the first thing to check. Cheers

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Lomman View Post
    Belt slip is the first thing to check. Cheers
    I agree with Wayne.

Take the belt off and turn it on. Does the screech go away? If not, it's motor bearings. If it goes away, it's either belt or cutter head bearings - likely belt.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

You do not state where you are so.... on my lathe the motor bearings started to whine when it got cold in the shop, like below 50 F. It took me a week or so to realize the temperature relationship. Also after a few minutes of run time the bearings warmed up and the noise almost stopped. Is it winter where you live?
    At first I was poking around thinking it was the headstock bearings which would cost over $1,000 for the pair.(metal lathe)
    Do you mean there is no noise when coasting down? If so bearings are probably okay, check belts and maybe starter switch. Do you hear a click as the starter switch closes during coast down?
    Bill D.

I am in the Philly area and I am told it is summer although the temps are not that high yet :-) There was no noise when coasting down or until it came to full speed.
    I looked at the belt and it seemed old and dry (I bought the jointed used.) It was also a little too loose. I tightened the belt and the noise almost stopped.
    I ordered a new belt. For <$5 I don't have much to lose...

Thank you all!

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Dotan View Post
    I am in the Philly area and I am told it is summer although the temps are not that high yet :-) There was no noise when coasting down or until it came to full speed.
    I looked at the belt and it seemed old and dry (I bought the jointed used.) It was also a little too loose. I tightened the belt and the noise almost stopped.
    I ordered a new belt. For <$5 I don't have much to lose...

Thank you all!
    I had a similar problem with my 3 belt planer. It would make a loud screeching sound when running which was the belts being the culprit due to the previous owner not using the machine for several years. The belts were cracked and dry and also took shape since they we're stationary for so long. I changed out the 3 belts and the problem stopped.

Unfortunately it is not the belt. It makes the screech without the belt.
    Motor bearing? What should I do? Just live with it until the motor dies?

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Dotan View Post
    Unfortunately it is not the belt. It makes the screech without the belt.
    Motor bearing? What should I do? Just live with it until the motor dies?

Not a screech, more of a roaring noise I had on a JET cabinet saw.
    There were a lot of post on the forums with the same issue. Solution, per most owners, was to replace the bearings.
    I called JET for replacement bearings and they told me to tighten the pulley set screws first before going to the work replacing the bearings. Turns out that was the problem, not the bearings.
    Takes little time to check to make sure your pulley set screw is not loose. ( But going to bet it is the bearings )
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Well, the pulley set screws are tight. If I continue to run the jointer then the screech goes away, it does it only when it's cold.
    It's really not that loud but due to a moderate OCD I have to fix it. I wonder if anybody has specific guidance on the Ridgid 1HP motor.

You might take your motor to a motor shop and see how much it cost to replace the bearings. I had my 20 year old 3 hp bandsaw motor cleaned out by a motor shop and they charged me $60. I did not want to take it apart by myself so I took it in.

I guess the other thing you could do is add a drop of oil down the shaft so it will go into the sealed bearing. It might get you by until winter.
    Last edited by lee cox; 06-08-2017 at 5:12 PM.

Run the jointer for a few days and see if it goes away. The grease inside the bearing is dry and may soften up. Feel the bearing after running the jointer for 15 minutes and see how warm it gets. If hot to touch replace the bearing.
    Quality bearing grease is used in more expensive bearings of the same type. It makes a huge difference in the longetivity of a bearing.