Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How best to thin these boards?

Paul, how many amps is that planer rated at? My guess is that it's either under-powered or your knives are dull.

Also, are you running it with an extension cord? If so, what gauge wire?

A scrub plane works well to hog off a lot of material in a hurry. It'll leave a rough finish, which you can clean up with the thicknesser. Be sure to mark the boards so that you don't plane beyond the line. If you don't have a scrub plane available, you could possibly convert an old plane into one by grinding a camber on the blade and opening the throat as much as possible.

#1, it should sound like it is working hard .

#2, you say the board gets 'stuck', does it blow the breaker? If not then clean your rubber rollers with alcohol to increase the traction

On my old Delta 13" thickness plane feeding problems begin when the steel table needs cleaning. I clean with acetone and then coat with Bostik Top-Cote.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Davis Young View Post
    A scrub plane works well to hog off a lot of material in a hurry. It'll leave a rough finish, which you can clean up with the thicknesser. Be sure to mark the boards so that you don't plane beyond the line. If you don't have a scrub plane available, you could possibly convert an old plane into one by grinding a camber on the blade and opening the throat as much as possible.
    Yep if you only have 2 boards I would use my trusty $25 #5 with a nice camber on the blade - just did it last night more then 2 and I start thinking about getting the lunchbox planer out.
    " (not that I'm judging...I'm all for excessive honing) " quote from Chris Griggs

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    On my old Delta 13" thickness plane feeding problems begin when the steel table needs cleaning. I clean with acetone and then coat with Bostik Top-Cote.
    A good cleaning and waxing solves a lot of feeding problems
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

If not then clean your rubber rollers with alcohol to increase the traction
    Alcohol is really, really, really bad for rubber. It dries it out & causes it to crack. You're killing your rollers with kindness!
    There are several commercial rubber cleaners on the market - - Fedron being the best - -that work wonders on rubber rollers & on rubber platens of any kind.
    Fedron in really expensive - - like $24.00 for an 8 ounce bottle - but, it's the best there is.

Staples sells an aerosol rubber cleaner also for about $10 less. I never used it though, so, I can't say what it's like.

I used to use Fedron years ago to clean the rollers & platens in printers.
    A quick wipe makes them new again.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

We used to use MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) to clean printer platens. It got them really clean! Looking at this chart it doesn't look good for lots of stuff! http://mykin.com/rubber-chemical-resistance-chart-4
    Frankie

I have a great Border Collie, she just can't hold her licker!

Blog Entries
    If your wood chips out, keep a spray bottle handy and spray the wood. It will minimize chip out.

This is one of the more odd threads I've seen in a while. Your planer clearly isn't operating properly. Softwood, hardwood, shouldn't matter if you have a properly adjusted lunchbox planer. Are the knives sharp? Beds lubed? That's about all there is to do on that little thing.
    It should be able to take off 1/16" no problem on a SIX INCH wide board.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    If your wood chips out, keep a spray bottle handy and spray the wood. It will minimize chip out.
    Would this work with a router? I'm using a pattern bit on some hardwood and sometimes can't read the grain and get some tearout. I minimize it by taking smaller passes and sometime climb cutting, would be nice to have a third way to combat this.

DG--I would just take thinner cuts.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."