Thread: Secure window sil for barn workshop window

Secure window sil for barn workshop window

Hi all - I just added a window to the workshop in my barn where I plan to build the mother of all workbenches - figured the natural light would be good there. I've never framed a window before but figured out most of it.

For the sil I milled a piece of 1x8, notched it, and then put the right angles on the exterior and interior lengths to match the old barn window sash I salvaged.

So all is well...but how do I secure the sil to the rough framing I did? I could stick some small wedges of wood but it doesn't seem too secure. Shims don't seem to have the thickness for the angle either. I looked at cutting some wedges but the angle is so shallow (15deg?) I can't do it on my Tsaw, band saw, or Miter saw.

I've been looking around the internet and for a formal house window I'd have an interior sil called something else and an exterior sil and that might make things easier. In my case I got a simple barn and framed in a window using 2x4s.

Any suggestions for how to secure this angled sil to the rough frame?

window sill is normally 2x6 redwood. Older house may have it milled into a wedge shape or just up on a strip on the inside. Easy enough to rip the 2x edges to the correct angle so they will be vertical after installation.
    Bill D.

The sill is usually part of the window unit. What did you use for a window?