Thread: Super strong, thin, wide, double-sided adhesive

Super strong, thin, wide, double-sided adhesive

Greetings engravers,

I'm looking for a strong double-sided adhesive that comes in at least a 6-inch wide roll. I have some really strong stuff that comes in a 2-inch roll, but it's just a little too thick -- it's like strapping tape... I need this to be more like Scotch Tape thickness... but with super sticking power. Anyone seen such a thing? I know that some suppliers of Romark sheets have an option to add an adhesive backing. I suppose that's the sort of stuff I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Bob
    Bob Crimmins
    -------------------
    OLT CNC - 64amp Plasma
    Shenhui CNC - 80 watt Co2 (Up From the Ashes)

I believe you are looking for Scotch 468 tape.

Try Construction Products.

I have been purchasing it from them for years.
    Construction Products Corporation
    305-D W. Torrance Blvd
    Carson ,Ca 90745
    PH 310.323.1104
    Last edited by Robert Tepper; 06-04-2017 at 11:59 PM.
    Robert Tepper
    Trotec Rayjet 300/80 Watt
    Dahlgren 500 Engraving Machine, CNC Engraving Machine
    Pad printer with 5 3/4 x 5 3/4" print area
    Jackson Vulcanizers, 15 x 24", three total
    Hegner Scroll Saws, 14", three total

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Tepper View Post
    I believe you are looking for Scotch 468 tape.
    Yup. Note that it's a pressure-sensitive adhesive, the key word being "pressure": works great if you are mounting something to a solid substrate and can really lean on it with a J-roller or something similar. If you just push the pieces together by hand, the bond isn't all that great.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Is a spray adhesive an option here?

3m 468mp is available in roll or sheet (24x36") option.

Another similar product is from Orafoil P/N 1377 or 1377S..... also roll or sheet form available.
    http://www.orafol.com/ats/europe/en/...transfer-tapes
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

Might consider giving these guys a call to see what product best fits your needs. I stopped in their place in Dallas and they GAVE me 3 rolls to try. Haven't had many opportunities to use it yet, but they'll cut to length and have a pretty solid customer list.

http://www.brontapes.com/
    60W, Boss Laser 1630
    75W, Epilog Legend 24EX
    Jet Left Tilting table saw and Jet 18" Band saw
    Adobe Creative suite and Laserworks 8

This is the strongest stuff I've ever been able to find, it is basically the pure VHB adhesive with no carrier, very thin, I have exterior signs that are more than 10 years old still holding up strong.
    http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-u...3242509&rt=rud
    Universal PLS 6.120D 75 watt
    MutiCam Apex CNC 4'x8' w 6 bit TC.
    EnrRoute 6 Pro 3d software.
    Vision 2550 Rotary Engraver.

FastCap

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Crimmins View Post
    Greetings engravers,

I'm looking for a strong double-sided adhesive that comes in at least a 6-inch wide roll. I have some really strong stuff that comes in a 2-inch roll, but it's just a little too thick -- it's like strapping tape... I need this to be more like Scotch Tape thickness... but with super sticking power. Anyone seen such a thing? I know that some suppliers of Romark sheets have an option to add an adhesive backing. I suppose that's the sort of stuff I'm looking for.

Thanks!

Bob
    I use this in 1" rolls. Very thin. Very strong.
    https://www.amazon.com/FastCap-STAPE.../dp/B002FARN12

You can read the user reviews/comments on this page:
    https://www.amazon.com/FastCap-T2003.../dp/B006SJIA0Y

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Lenkic View Post
    3m 468mp is available in roll or sheet (24x36") option.

Another similar product is from Orafoil P/N 1377 or 1377S..... also roll or sheet form available.
    http://www.orafol.com/ats/europe/en/...transfer-tapes
    I have always kept a roll of 3m 467MP 6" on hand for years, great stuff, and handy size. Easy to apply and cut through Rowmark when doing a full 12x24 sheet of signs.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Here is a good place to see all the variety of tapes and its uses and specs

https://www.uline.com/Grp_249/Adhesive-Transfer-Tapes

Also these tapes have an shelf life.

Kim
    Epilog Legend 24TT

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Downing View Post
    Might consider giving these guys a call to see what product best fits your needs. I stopped in their place in Dallas and they GAVE me 3 rolls to try. Haven't had many opportunities to use it yet, but they'll cut to length and have a pretty solid customer list.

http://www.brontapes.com/
    Concur on Bron...
    They have a place here in town, great tape and the people are always willing to help- A month or so ago I asked them about thin magnet material, and they just sent me like 25 pieces in credit-card-ish size to try out, no charge. And if you use foam tape, they sell the absolute strongest foam tape I've ever seen- you simply can not tear the foam middle apart, which is where foam tape always fails. And their 'killer red tape', is.....
    They used to call it 'red death', not quite as PC I guess -- but do not use this stuff if you ever plan on separating the parts. You'll likely destroy them first...

Good stuff...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    And their 'killer red tape', is.....
    They used to call it 'red death', not quite as PC I guess -- but do not use this stuff if you ever plan on separating the parts. You'll likely destroy them first...
    That sounds like 3M 4910, which is designed for mounting auto trim and accessory moldings. It's also useful for mounting GoPro cameras to motorcycle helmets, which give a clue to the bond strength. As I recall, the preferred method for removing something mounted with it is to run a piece of heavy-duty monofilament fishing line under it...while wearing very heavy gloves.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

If not already posted. Do a search for killa red tape. It's tough as nails, and pressure sensitive. You have to be careful though because once you lay your piece down it's pretty much there to stay. I've used a lot of this stuff over the years. Expensive yes, but it will hold just about anything.
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt