Thread: Some Pretty Nice Weed Tree

Some Pretty Nice Weed Tree

I found this wood in a plastic contractors bag at our woodturning club. It is relatively soft, (softer than soft maple), but cut well enough. Sanded easily. I used a 40/40 grind to cut the wings and a bottom feeder gouge to finish the bottom. It is 9" x 8" and 3 1/2" deep. Finish is 5 coats of lacquer.
    IMG_3028.jpg
    IMG_3029.jpg
    IMG_3030.jpg
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Gorgeous wood and a fine bowl. Thanks for posting.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Wow! Nice bowl, I love the lines. Glad you saved it from being destroyed!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Very nice!!

Certainly a sweet looking piece of timber you saved Bob.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Bob, that is gorgeous! That wood is amazing looking and the form you put it in compliments it really well. It shows off that awesome spalt. I love square platters or bowls. They have such a sharp look. You certainly did this credit with the finish too. Nice work!
    USMC '97-'01

I really like the shape, nice find with the wood too!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Petersen View Post
    Bob, that is gorgeous! That wood is amazing looking and the form you put it in compliments it really well. It shows off that awesome I love square platters or bowls. They have such a sharp look. You certainly did this credit with the finish too. Nice work!
    Thanks Adam. The 40/40 grind is rolled over to 3 o'clock position. This allows the point to cut and not cause pressure against the surface of the wing. The result is a smooth cut with minimum of ripples or tearing.

Very, Very nice square bowl. I am not normally a fan of square bowls, but you changed my mind with this beauty.
    Last edited by Bill Boehme; 06-05-2017 at 10:04 PM. Reason: word left out
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Boehme View Post
    Very, Very nice square bowl. I am not normally a fan of square bowls, but you changed my mind with this beauty.
    Thanks Bill. I just couldn't bring myself to cutting off the corners of that wood. I wanted to display it as much as possible making sure the wood would be at its best.

Super square bowl and so very thin! Could it be basswood which spalts very well.

Robert, it possibly could be, or a similar type tree. What bark there was looked thinner and lighter in color. Thanks for the kind words.