Thread: Recommendations on moles

Recommendations on moles

We've been battling moles in a portion of our yard. Historically, they've normally appeared in late summer. But this year, they are already there. I've tried a number of things including
    insecticide to get rid of the grubs they feed on, treating the lawn with milky spores ( a 3 year application process), trapping, one brand of top dress mole repellent yard application, solar vibrating devices. Obviously, I've not tried everything, but does anyone have a good recommendation?

Build a mole knocker.

When my Dad moved to Gloucester County years ago his friend gave him two mole knockers that he built. Basically they are a standard yard windmill that you add two opposed wood blocks to the inside of the blades, they hit the main shaft when the blades turn. The noise transfers down the shaft into the ground and drives moles crazy and they will leave. My Dad cleared two acres of mole infestation in a couple months by moving the mole knockers around the yard every few days.

Don't have them bothering anything ,but my neighbors do. They apply a commercial product consisting of clay cat litter treated with castor oil. Works well,but needs frequent application. I've offered to help them make their own using agricultural castor oil. Much cheaper

Jack Russell terrier = mole hunting machine

jackrussel.jpg
    jackrussel2.jpg

You'll have to fill in the holes, tho. :-)

Peppermint oil on cotton balls down their holes. They can't stand it.It works on mice in the shop as well. Have been using it for five years now, no moles or mice. Tuna cans with cotton balls around the shop, put in a few drops once a month. One must stay with it though. The best peppermint oil is from Japan, more menthol than U. S. products.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

I found poison bombs (like smoke bombs) worked well. That was 30 years ago; don't know if they still sell them.
    I tried an electronic device like the knocker Keith referred to; it did nothing.

Gopher Gas - available at your local BORG. I have used it for years and it is the one product/approach that actually gets rid of the moles that attack my yard every year. this is probably the product that Wade was referring to.

Blog Entries
    My neighbor had mole problems and tried the Caddy Shack approach. He poured some gasoline down one of the holes waited a few minutes and the tossed a match on the hole. He had little balls of flame popping up all across his yard. No harm done but it was funny to watch. The moles came back so it didn't work.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Years ago my dad would flood them out. He shoved a hose into the hole, and wait for them to pop up.

snakes. Worked in our yard anyway. Snake ate the critters and then left.

I have great success on the farm with "Gopher Bait'' with strychnine
    After the farmer used one of these in his field http://www.rodentblaster.com/
    I had a few migrate to my property, So I did this:
    Find tunnel,
    excavate,
    insert poison,
    cover tunnel with small piece of plywood,
    pack plywood with dirt to make light proof
    find dead mole later by hole

Or they do make adapters to pump your trucks exhaust in to their tunnel too
    Carpe Lignum

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    Jack Russell terrier = mole hunting machine

jackrussel.jpg
    jackrussel2.jpg

You'll have to fill in the holes, tho. :-)
    LOL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,That's exactly what our Jack Russell did to our back yard................Rod.