Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Midi Lathe ??

Best Midi Lathe ??

How many times has a question been asked like this? So, newbie here.. I currently have a Jet Mini 1014.. the old gray/blue one from the late 90's. Works fine for pens, stoppers and other small things.

If I want to upgrade slightly to turn, say, a 10"+ bowl, I'm thinking of a Midi 12". I don't think I'll be turning longer spindles.. at least at this time.. and I probably won't be turning a larger bowl for some time either.

I think I have looked at the 12" Jet, Delta, Rikon, etc and tried to figure the pros and cons of each. I don't mind having to have different sized items to thread onto the headstock.. i.e. 1x8 vs 1 1/4x8 and possibly different tool posts, etc.

I'd like a variable speed.. but, I'm a bit concerned with bogging down the lathe or even belt slippage. How much of a concern is that with the above lathes..

Looking for personal experiences with each of these..or possible suggestions for one not mentioned above.

Thanks for any help.

Bill

2. Sounds like you need a Jet 1221 VS!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I have the Rikon, Jet 1221vs and the new Jet 1620. The Jets are a clear winner in my book.

Oneway 1224 midi lathe, I consider the best Midi Lathe.
    Have fun and take care

I have only been turning bowls for about 6 months but I bought the Nova Comet II with a max 12" bowl capacity. So far, it's been great. Keep in mind that I have experience with no other lathes. However, mine came with a Nove G3 chuck which was just what I also needed to start turning bowls. I don't know if this lathe is the best for the money out there, but it seems to me to be a good solid tool. Below are some pictures of some of the bowls I've turned so far with the lathe.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've turned on a delta 46-460 for the past 5 years and it has been bulletproof. I turn at least 150 days of the year and have put some really wonky pieces of wood on that thing and it just keeps going. My business partner also turns on one and has had no problems whatsoever, as well.

For my tastes, the jet machines seem a little lighter weight. I've turned on them a few times but not enough to fully endorse it

if money is no object, you probably can't do better than the Oneway midi. I would like to see the Baileigh midi in person as they look like they could be an interesting choice. I've not seen the grizzly option.

my best advice when setting up a midi lathe no matter what brand, is to build a very solid/heavy bench and bolt the thing down. Midis like to jump around with any kind of off-balance blank.

good luck!

7. I have a Delta 46-460 in my shop as my small lathe, and believe me, the Jet 1221 Vs is heavier. Our club has both the 46-460, and the Jet 1221 VS, and I have turned on both. The ergonomics are a little better on the Jet as well. That is not to say the Jet 1221 VS is the best. Money being no issue, I would also go with the Oneway 1224.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 06-06-2017 at 11:39 AM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Blog Entries
    Check out the new Robust Scout as another option

I am with Leo on the Oneway 1224 lathe. I have two plus the Jet 12-21. The Oneway is my favorite of all my lathes(6). I have a Oneway2436 for the times that I lose my mind and turn something really big. The Jet 12-21 is a great lathe for the money.
    Joe

I ove my46-460. In my opinion quite a bit better than the Jets.

I love my 46-460 of seven years. Quite a bit better than the Jets in my opinion.

I have a oneway 1018. (Predicessor to 1224). And it is great lathe. Precision lathe that is fun to turn on. I also have a vicmark 300 that I really like. The are both great lathes, with very different feels. I fully believe one feel is not better then the other, just different.

I personally like the cast iron feel of the vicmarc. That is very personal.

If you are looking to find the best midi for you. I would add the vicmarc vl150 to your list to look at.

Asking for what is "best" when it comes to things like lathes is very, very subjective.

If there were one "best" lathe then whoever made that lathe would eventually run all the other companies out of business. Note, that has not happened.

Now me? I have a 1946 Delta lathe (1460) complete with jackshaft. For what I do, it is the "best" lathe. Why do I like it? Because it is simple. I can fix things that go wrong with it. No electronic gizmos controlling speed to go bad. Motor bites the dust? No problem, just find a used one and hang it off the back. Is this the "best" for everyone? Absolutely not. If I turned all day long, I would want that VS gizmo.

I really like my Rikon70-220VSR. I especially like the 1" post on the tool rest, having broken several Jet and Delta 5/8" posts over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by ALAN HOLLAR View Post
    I really like my Rikon70-220VSR. I especially like the 1" post on the tool rest, having broken several Jet and Delta 5/8" posts over the years.
    I've turned on Jet 1221s for extended demos. I would have to agree that the Jet 5/8" post on the tool rest is perhaps my foremost complaint -- it is ok with a short-width rest, but where longer rests are needed or desirable, vibration can be at least a minor aggravation.