Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you own a Drone?

Do you own a Drone?

Do you own a Drone? If so, What model and why did you chose it to purchase?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

No but I sure want one I'm going to be watching this thread
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

I've got one like this : https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NARDYUQ?psc=1

You can fly indoors and it makes the cats go bananas trying to catch it!

I have several nano drones, all about 5 inches or less in diameter, for in-house amusement. I only find them amusing for the 30 or so minutes that the batteries last on 2-3 of them, so that's perfect. A big outdoor one would probably take away too much of my tool/ handwork time, so I avoid them. My brother and I will fly them off his back deck while one of us shoots at it with an airsoft gun... boys...

My Maine Coon (longhair) cat did catch one early one dark winter morning and got all 4 props twisted in her belly hair. She ran off meowing through the dark house and all I could see was red and green flashing lights under each piece of furniture as she tried to get away from it. I eventually caught her and freed the drone after I stopped laughing.

So, I think the nanos are fun, and cheap. look online for reviews -some are too cheap and the batteries last for 5 minutes
    enjoy,
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Do you own a Drone? If so, What model and why did you chose it to purchase?
    I have several for different purposes, some indoors, some out. I also have several friends who use drones (quadcopters) with cameras for their work, one as part of a video production company.

If looking for recommendations, you might state what you want to do with it. A recommendation for one to fly indoors around the shop or to amuse the kids would be different from one to get pictures of your farm or shoot aerial footage in the mountains.

JKJ

DJI Phantom 4 Pro for me. Great aircraft and incredible photos/video, as well. Stabilization, auto-return, and reasonable intro costs played a big part in my buying this one. Spare batteries, props, etc., drive the cost way up. And, for sure, you need at least 2 spare batts. I wanted to get the Inspire, just way out of my league, price-wise. Overall, the Phantom is a great machine. DJI customer support, from what I read on their forum, is not the best. I have no first hand experience with them, so can't comment. Good luck.

I got one like this one

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00D3...JRL&ref=plSrch

was just a toy, had fun with it in my basement, didn't have enough power to use outdoors. I gave it to my nephew.

I do property management, and eventually I'd like to get a real drone to make Roof inspections, but a ladder is probably better.

I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/Holy-Stone-Wi...oly+stone+f181

I'd been looking at drones in general for a while but couldn't bring myself to lay down 5-6 hundred bucks on a toy. This one got decent reviews and the price was right. I haven't fooled with it much but it is pretty easy to fly and the camera is decent. I probably will spring for a better one at some point, it's a lot of fun. One thing I learned the hard way....the manual says you shouldn't try to fly if it's windy. In actuality, you should only fly this one when it's dead calm. the first time I flew it, I got it up 15-20 feet in altitude and the breeze caught it and it sailed 100 yards or so across the pasture before I could get it back to the ground. If I had been in a residential area, it would have been on someone's roof.

I have a DJI Phantom 3 Pro. I couldn't stomach the money for the 4 and the 4 pro wasn't out yet. I was able to fly 1.5 miles away last summer out in Utah with nothing and no one else around and take some amazing video. I only use it for fun, but it is a blast to fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Andersson View Post
    I have several nano drones, all about 5 inches or less in diameter, for in-house amusement. I only find them amusing for the 30 or so minutes that the batteries last on 2-3 of them, so that's perfect.
    I received an Autel outdoor drone as a gift and my 11 year old son has a couple of cheap indoor drones. He is really good at flying the small ones indoors. I agree with Karl, they are amusing for about 30 minutes or so.

The outdoor ones need to have GPS stabilization to be useful with even the slightest breeze. This pushes the price point up to at least $500. It is quite interesting to watch the Autel correct its position with 5-10mph winds. It is amazingly stable.

Steve

I have a DJI Phantom 3 Advanced. The reason I purchased it at the time was it seemed like the best value in an advanced drone. If I were buying today, I would absolutely buy another DJI because they work well and the software is very powerful. I think I would buy the Phantom 4 Professional because of the superior obstruction avoidance capability and the near professional grade video camera with 1" sensor.

We have a DJI Inspire 1, was meant to be used commercially. Decided to hold off until we get the licensing sorted, submitted our exemption over a year ago. Then all of the rules changed, so no idea when or if we do anything business related with it.

Todd

I have one that I built from scratch starting with a blackout mini frame. I plan to get into FPV racing and wanted to select my own components. It is a lot of fun. This one is for learning. The next one will ba an azz kikr. LOL.
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

don't really own one but married one she drones on and on about the same old stuff.

You need a drone like mine. It makes a lot of noise but if I hit the "Home" button it will obediently return to where it launched, land and sit quietly.