Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: $122,950 bed, is it real wood?

If we're talking Doric or Ionic entasis I'd agree there is a definite lack, however since this is fashioned after the Corinthian order any perceived bulge is almost negligible and the entasis is practically a taper past the first third.

The capital is definitely embellished as expected for Corinthian and the flutes are more Ionic than Doric with the flats between them.

This wouldn't have come from Ancient Greece, but it's certainly not attrocious in form.

That being said it wouldn't look good in my bedroom but I've seen many bedrooms that it would.
    Last edited by Michael Rector; 06-07-2017 at 2:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    All I can imagine is a filthy rich 425lb jaba-the-hut type and VS level trophy wife who at the very least has her own wing in any of the numerous homes owned across the globe, or even more, lives completely separate in her own "wife home" lol. Annual conjugal visits may occur with enough DOM and diamond bracelets to numb the nausea. Yeesh. There is too much money in the world.
    I was thinking high end Bordello. Maybe not so different.

Entasis is subtle, but can not be omitted. I think the market for that piece is a struggling bloke who has just won the lottery. I'm not a turner ,but when I've had to comission columns I carefully drew it out full size. Omitting it makes me wonder how much a GOOD bed would cost.

That just proves P.T. Barnum was right. There is a sucker born every minute. A sucker with really bad taste.

Quote Originally Posted by ken carroll View Post
    Hmmmm, fine Corinthian columns.
    Ricardo could not have said it better. The plane! The plane!

Is that COM fine Corinthian leather?
    Bill

I think the bed is designed to appeal to the person whose sole criteria is how much it costs.
    Rick

Fellas, just because you don't like an item's style, or don't understand its appeal, doesn't make it not well made or have hours upon hours of craftsmanship in it.

The lady that buys a $43,000 handbag might question some guys around here spending $10,000 on a robust or oneway lathe. All it does is spin wood and it's just made of rough cast iron. And it's ugly. No amount of gold paint is gonna make it look good in trump tower either.

And for all you guys that don't read so carefully - that bed is covered in Silver Leaf, not milk paint. And it includes a mattress/foundation which is easily 10% of the cost. They didn't run down to mattresses are us for a deluxe pillow top for $1500 bucks.

There was recently a thread about Maloof pieces costing $50,000 that have half the amount of wood, and time in construction, and no precious metal content. I admire his ideas and craftsmanship, but personally find his designs butt ugly. Does that make his pieces less valuable ? Or a ripoff artist ? Nope, enough people are willing to chase his stuff that it will remain valuable. But his work certainly doesn't appeal to the masses anymore than this outlandish bed does.

It's just the marketplace filling the appetite of diverse tastes.
    Last edited by Dave Sabo; 06-07-2017 at 9:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Whitehead View Post
    I think the bed is designed to appeal to the person whose sole criteria is how much it costs.
    Rick
    I agree with Rick 100%

one of my close friend is an upmarket real estate agent, some of their customer ONLY buys the most expensive furniture/furnishing they can lay their hands on.

Cost and practicality was never a consideration to them. they just want THE most expensive in the world to impress their friends and/or themselves

does it shake?

Ahh, the Magic Fingers option!