Thread: Wiring for Delta 46-460 switch

Wiring for Delta 46-460 switch

Like most people with a the 46-460 lathe, my on-off switch went dead on me. I took it apart and cleaned it. with no luck. So I ordered a new switch from Delta, which arrived pretty quickly. However, with my memory, I had forgotten which wire went where. If someone has a wiring diagram for the lathe, could you send me a copy of it? I have searched through some of the forums, and have found mention of these being available, but have not found one posted that I can get to. I would appreciate it a lot.
    Tom
    The hurrier I goes, the behinder I gets.

Tom, here is a link to an old post that had to do with a line cord replacement. It may have enough info to get you going if you are talking about the on/off switch and not the speed control. If not I can open mine up again and ID the switch wires for you if no one has a diagram. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/archive/.../t-197848.html

Paul, I believe that post is just for reconnecting the power cord, not the entire switch. In any case, there are 4 connectors on the power switch, and 6 connectors on the reversing switch, and one jumper on the reversing switch. This is a type 1 lathe, I don't know if the type 2 is wired differently or not.

You are correct he only needed the line cord info. When I get a chance I will look for the photos I took when I had mine apart. Do you need info for both switches or just the on-off switch?

Both switches.

I am still trying to get the switches wired on my 46-460, and am going to try this. The photo shows how I have the wires connected, and the lathe does not work. Could someone with this lathe compare the wiring below with theirs and let me know if mine is correct and how to make it correct? I would really appreciate any help with this.

The tape on the reversing switch shows the forward and reverse positions of the switch.

Thank you,
    Tom Wilson
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tom, a couple of thoughts: (1) on your reversing switch (which I am guessing is a DPDT or double-pole/double-throw) switch, it looks strange. I think that the contacts on the top of the switch connect the center wire or terminal to either the left or right lug on the switch. The same is probably true for the bottom set of terminals. What looks strange is you have a white wire connected to the center of the top terminals but nothing connected to either the right or left top terminal. I looked at an old SMC post and it includes a picture of the switch - - which has wires where your switch is blank. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...r-Delta-46-460
    (2) Have you tried calling Delta tech support? I would be reluctant to be connecting power wiring up knowing there is a chance that I could damage the speed control or something. I looked on-line at the Delta manuals and on-line they don't provide a wiring diagram

In any case, my post will keep you post active and perhaps you can get an owner of this lathe to snap a picture.

Using the link that Brice provided, I was able to trace the wires in the pictures in that link and made a marked up image that might be easier to follow. The only two wires that I couldn't track well were from the circuit board to the switch that I indicated on the image. If they are swapped then Forward and Reverse will be swapped. The two crisscross jumpers are indicated by the cyan and magenta wires. They should cross diagonally. What I see in your photo looks like you have the jumper connecting both ends of the same switch together.

DSCN0089b2xx.jpg

It's a very good idea to either make sketches or take pictures before unhooking wires ... but you probably know that.
    Last edited by Bill Boehme; 06-10-2017 at 11:49 PM.
    Bill

Thanks to Bill's photo I was able to get the wiring done. I doubt I could have done it without that. My thanks to Bill and all the others who helped with this.

Tom Wilson

Thanks to Brice Rogers for finding the photo that Steve Mawson made to answer a similar question a couple years ago. I did a little editing of Steve's image in Photoshop to make it easier to trace the wires to the switch. I'm glad to know that you were able to get the wiring hooked up and the lathe running again.
    Bill

I'm glad that you found the info useful and were able to get it running again.