Thread: briquette press?

briquette press?

Any of the forum user owns/operates a briquette?

At what point did you decide you need a briquette thats connected to your dust extractor?

I am tired of cleaning my dust collection bag every week (there are 2 collection bags, each measures 900mm high x 600mm diameter), I used to sell the wood shavings cheap to locals whoever wants them for their pets/horse (one lady bought 10 large bags of the shavings when I queried, she said her horse is sick and needs to lie on wood shavings.)

The time required to prepare, clean and dispose the dust/shavings is too much in my thinking (need to wear full protection gear, clean the bag house bag with sticks, remove the dust bags, user a trailer to dump the shavings at local disposal yard, re fit the dust bag)

I use untreated, kiln dried timber, so if I want to sell them I guess I can do so.

This maybe an opportunity to upgrade my dust extractor as well, I bought my current extractor second hand for $600USD, it is a 4kw unit. I have been looking at the likes of Nestro NE300 or Alko PU300 (very expensive but very well made) with briquette attached, the investment on a newish (second hand) extractor and briquette is about what I make in a year with my woodwork hobby business.

my workshop is one man workshop and I have a full time job not related to my woodwork.

If you were in my position, would you invest in a new extractor and a briquette?

53056_020.jpg
    Last edited by Albert Lee; 06-06-2017 at 6:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Lee View Post

If you were in my position, would you invest in a new extractor and a briquette?
    My opinion, you're not making any dust. If you were making that amount every 15 minutes, that's a different story, but that amount a week would be tough to justify the expenditure.

If you justified that dc, adding a briquette will not take our help justifying so buy what you want. Its not a decision based on need for sure.

true. I cant imagine cleaning my extractor every 15 minutes. I would be doing it all day then! lol

Thanks Mike. true words. I think a lot of my woodwork machinery is not based on need. spot on

I had to clean it again last night its a mission to clean it and a mess everytime I open up the extractor.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Lee View Post
    Thanks Mike. true words. I think a lot of my woodwork machinery is not based on need. spot on

I had to clean it again last night its a mission to clean it and a mess everytime I open up the extractor.
    A kindred spirit

Yes sir. Many of us are in great company around here. I only hope we get to see how that briquette machine works!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    Yes sir. Many of us are in great company around here. I only hope we get to see how that briquette machine works!
    Thanks Mike, Will definitely post up the pics if I ever decide to go down this path