Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Harry's shave club

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Nair View Post
    I shave every three or four days whether I need it or not. Joking aside, I go the double edge safety razor route. Last blade purchase was about $13 dollars for a hundred pack of Personna blades. More than a year will pass before I have to order again, very frugal and trouble free.
    Same here. I bought 100 Gillette 7 o' clock super stainless blades for 10 bucks. They will easily last me 2 years plus.

Another for Dollar Shave Club. I also get their Executive Razors and use their shaving cream. Unlike others on this thread, I do change my blades every 7-10 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Mason-Darnell View Post
    I do change my blades every 7-10 days.
    Just a curious question. Why?
    -Lud

I use a double edge safety razor.

Blades are about $20 for 100 blades, which means 200 shaving edges.

A blade lasts me almost 2 weeks so about 10 cents a week, hard to beat.

I also use Williams shaving soap in a mug, add hot water and you get the lather consistency you want, I tend to like a very wet lather for shaving............Rod.

IPA was mentioned as something to spray on the blades to dry them out. I had to look it up. IPA = Isopropyl alcohol, OK, that makes sense.

I use the Gillette Fusion 5 heads. I prefer them to the Gillette Mach 3.

I purchased some Harry's blades from Target to give them a try. I liked the handle.

Before mentioning the blades, let me say that I use the Gillette Fusion shave gel for sensitive skin. I really like it and it works well with the Gillette Fusion 5 heads. My youngest daughter LOVES to smear the shaving cream all over my face and she really rubs it in. I find it works better if I do not rub it in that aggressively I think that it works better.

With Harry's blades, I had trouble with "stuff" being caught between the blades. This was very pronounced when I used the Gillette Fusion shaving cream. They blades were less likely to do this when I used $1 a can cheap shaving cream from Target.

I ultimately chose to not use Harry's because I was so often having stuff between the blades that I could not simply rinse out. I have not had this problem with the Gillette blades. I did not use these often enough to comment on how long I can use a blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I use a double edge safety razor.

Blades are about $20 for 100 blades, which means 200 shaving edges.

A blade lasts me almost 2 weeks so about 10 cents a week, hard to beat.

I also use Williams shaving soap in a mug, add hot water and you get the lather consistency you want, I tend to like a very wet lather for shaving............Rod.
    Me too. Here's a link to my shaving stand post: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...=shaving+stand
    I usually don't shave every day so double edge blades are non-issue as far as cost. I also like shaving soap, which you can get into a good lather.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ludwig View Post
    Just a curious question. Why?
    That is when I notice a difference in the comfort of the shaving process and the quality of the shave. I shave in the shower and leave the razor in there afterwards. We have very hard water, so it could be a mineral build up on the blades. I also can have a heavy/course, though not dense beard, if that makes sense. Most days, I could shave twice a day with no issues.

Not saying that everyone should be changing their blades every week, that is just what I do. Since I switched to Dollar Shave Club, I do not even hesitate to change the blade.

If I still used the multi blades, I'd probably give Harry's a try. But I've been shaving with a straight razor for almost 11 years and I just ordered my first safety razor. Not that I shave that much of my face, anyway.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

We had an interesting thread a while back:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...g-Schick-Krona

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Luna View Post
    If I still used the multi blades, I'd probably give Harry's a try. But I've been shaving with a straight razor for almost 11 years and I just ordered my first safety razor. Not that I shave that much of my face, anyway.
    never had the courage to use a straight razor on my throat.. I do use a straight razor on my hair (Thinning but no bold spots yest) cutting the front is pretty easy looking in the mirror. doing the back was harder To learn, but I can now tell how long in my back by stretching it the other hand. with practice you can do s pretty decent job. still not perfectly evenly as check in a mirror when I am done

I've been using Dollar Shave for a few years now and love it. The Shave Butter is the best. I typically get a couple of weeks out of a blade and I shave every day. I switched when W**mart started making you go to the counter to get blades. Hated being treated like a criminal. Automatic delivery makes it a no brainer for the wife and me.

Quote Originally Posted by James Baker SD View Post
    never had the courage to use a straight razor on my throat..
    I felt a little trepidation when I first started but got through it in short order. Light pressure is the key along with keeping the stroke straight at first. Save the oblique, "scything" strokes for later when the hand is more sure of itself. I'm not naturally ambidextrous but I learned to handle my straight with both left and right hands, even on my throat.

I forgot to mention my favorite things lather up with. I use a shaving soap most often and I'm fond of D.R. Harris products, such as the Marlborough scent. I use creams, too and since it's available at one store locally, it's usually Truefitt & Hill Trafalgar, sandalwood, or West Indian lime. I buy a tub every once in a while but more often, it's a tube for the travel kit.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

I use a straight, a brush and good shaving soap. Won't ever go back to cartridge razors.
    But if I were using them, Harry's looks like as good a place as any, and much better moneywise than anything Gillette offer.