Thread: Large Walnut & Curly Maple Jewelry Cabinet

Large Walnut & Curly Maple Jewelry Cabinet

Hi friends,

I haven’t posted in a while and thought I would post a few recent projects. I've done a lot of "new" lately..

First one is a large jewelry armoire for a lady in California.

1h_lrg.jpg1i_lrg.jpg1j_lrg.jpg1a_lrg.jpg1b_lrg.jpg1c_lrg.jpg1d_lrg.jpg1f_lrg.jpg

The structural woods are walnut and curly maple. Accents of drawer/cabinet dividers, mirror frames, & necklace hangers are Bubinga, Goncalo Alves, and Wenge. It's pretty large for a jewelry cabinet at 60” tall, 33” wide, and 26” deep. The upper cabinet area has 58 necklace hangers, 99 2” dividers with flannel backers, framed mirrors, and a motion activated light. The top three drawers have 3” dividers and the bottom three drawers have 4” dividers. I kinda got ahead of myself during the build and could not get the bottom shelf into the carcass area once it was assembled. I had to cut the leg notches way back (in the shelf) to get it in and once it was in the gaps were way too large. I added the little (curly maple) corner moldings at each leg and I think they actually improved the look of the cabinet, seemed to give it that little extra something you're always looking for. The finish is Waterlox original (cause it looks good and it's easy).

This was my first time shipping. I used a company called Plycon. They came to my shop and picked up the cabinet. They took it to their staging terminal, wrapper it, built a crate for it, shipped it to California, hand delivered it to the client, uncrated it, and even took it in the house and set it up. I have to give them very high marks and will definitely use them again if needed.

Thanks for viewing,

david
    DRCWoodWorks
    Dallas, Tx

That is simply gorgeous, David! I love the combo of Walnut and Curly Maple (just finished a cross for our church and used those same woods - posted here). And I agree on the Curly Maple accent pieces on the bottom shelf - nice touch.

This lady must have a ton of jewelry! I built one in Honduras Mahogany, Curly Maple, and Padauk about half the size of one drawer in your cabinet for my wife a couple of years ago and it isn't a third full.

David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

Hi David. Thank you for the nice compliment. Yes, I really like curly maple and walnut together as well. I looked at your cross project.. Holy smokes, that's awesome and highly engineered as well. Yes, I was really not liking the large gaps between the bottom shelf and the legs and had several different ideas how to make that bug a feature... This one turned out quite well, I think. I could speak to how much jewelry she has but she was a real good client to work with. Very quick with responses and paid before she even had to.

cya,
    david

and one of my favorites
    Hebrews 11:1 KJV

That is an outstanding piece of work. Having made a spice box on frame (not sure its about the same size) I can attest to the amount of time just putting the egg-crate drawer dividers together. The wood combination is always pleasing to the eye, and yes, I have to agree, I would not want to be responsible for filling all that space.

Thanks Dave for sharing.

Man, I love that. The contrast between the woods is well chosen and works perfectly for my tastes. The workmanship looks super. And the maple covering the notches on those shelves looks good - quite a value-added "save" in my book. Wow!
    Fred

David, that's a magnificent piece. She must have a lot of jewelry. Not that you could broadcast it here but I wonder if you designed in some secret compartments for the "good stuff".

That turned out awesome. Would love to make something like that one day. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks John,
    I'm not sure I know what a "Spice box on frame" is but I can for sure say I've never seen a spice box 60" tall. That a lot of spice. Yes, walnut and curly maple were just made to go together, I think.

Thanks Fred,
    You know, if I was to do it over I believe I would keep the little bottom shelf corner moldings. I really think they add to the piece. Strange how sometimes the mistakes end up providing that little something that you missed in the original design. Also, thank you on the workmanship comment, I am quite proud of how the drawers ended up.

Thank you Yonak,
    Yes, there's space here for a lot of jewelry for sure. On the compartment question, I'm sorry... it's a secret.

Greg,
    Thank you for the kind words.

Gotta get back to my daughters' normal sized jewelry box.

cya,
    david