Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Morning Walk

Blog Entries

Morning Walk

The street I live on is 5/16 mile from end to end. It is lined with oak trees and has an intersection at the middle of the street.

I walk four lengths of the street daily. I do it early in the day. I am approaching old age (I'm 81) and I do it because I can and
    also because I want to continue doing it. I don't hurt and feel blessed . Today is a bright sunshiny day.

It gives me time to reflect on life, relationships, and family. I do this year round, but the climate is good in Galveston County Texas.

There is an overhanging branch towards the end of the street that I can touch and I touch it daily.

I thought I would share this.

Keep going Lowell! I think walking makes the difference in people who are happier later in life.

Hi Lowell,

Thanks for sharing. I, too, thank God everyday for good health. Wish you the best.

81?! I had no idea. My dad's 76 and both he and I are grateful that he's still so active in spirit, mind, and body.

My dad wouldn't have ANY idea how to jump on an internet forum, though, so you have that on him!

Congrats!

BTW, I spent my college summers in Houston, and frequented Galveston. This was in the 90's though. I thought Austin got nothing on the bar/music scene compared to Galveston.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 06-07-2017 at 12:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    Good for you Lowell.

I am currently attending Cardio Rehab 3 times a week because it makes me exercise. I was trying to get in a walk like yours, but living in a rural hilly area it doesn't feel safe walking on the roadway at times.

One of the rehab leaders mentioned that the folks who discontinue the regular exercise tend to end up back in the Cardio unit.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Lowell....I think staying active is important for longevity in this life and for enjoying it. This past January, my wife and I joined a local health club. We don't attend it at the same time and have totally different workouts. We both try to go, at least, 3 times a week. Exercise coupled with a diet has provided me with a 22 lb. loss of weight and frankly, I am feeling much better!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Good for you, Lowell. I miss my 4 times weekly swims; I swim a mile of mixed strokes. I still can't drive after my last incident with my noggin, and getting to the pool is tough.

My dad walked incessantly when we had to put him in a home. The first one had a pool, he loved that. When he was managing a local dairy, while his employees were having martini lunches, he would walk to a nearby pool and swim 1/2 a mile!
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    The street I live on is 5/16 mile from end to end. It is lined with oak trees and has an intersection at the middle of the street.
    I walk four lengths of the street daily. I do it early in the day. I am approaching old age (I'm 81) and I do it because I can and
    also because I want to continue doing it. I don't hurt and feel blessed . Today is a bright sunshiny day.
    It gives me time to reflect on life, relationships, and family. I do this year round, but the climate is good in Galveston County Texas.
    There is an overhanging branch towards the end of the street that I can touch and I touch it daily.
    I thought I would share this.
    Your note made my day! Your walking philosophy is very much like mine - I reflect on things as I walk around the farm every day, blessed more than I can comprehend. Sometime I sing (no one lives close enough to offend!) I built trails and roads through the woods and on the edges of the fields to the beehives, horse pasture, barn & shop, etc, a real joy with nice weather, like today!

The walk to my mailbox is about the length of your street. I once wore a pedometer for a few days - I found I walked about 6 miles a day, more than I imagined. I'm 67 and my dr says keep it up. I know people 20 years younger who can barely get around, spending most of their time on the couch with snacks. Keeping up with the land and animals eliminates even the temptation to sit on the couch! (new baby llama here this week!)

llama_baby1.jpg

I'm going to print your note and keep it for inspiration when I feel tired (or lazy!)

JKJ

Lowell,
    I too walk every day with my dog. We have several different routes (both in degree of difficulty and distance) that we take. They average from 3+ miles with only five hills to 5+ miles up the mountain. I am approaching 69 and strongly believe that exercise is essential as we age. Once we give in it becomes a very slippery downward slope. Keep it up sir!
    Regards - Bill

Good for you Lowell! Keep on goin'.
    Fred

Thanks for the inspiring post Lowell; that'll keep me going. I'm in the same predicament as Jim, and it's too far to drive to the nearest city that has sidewalks. I move around a lot during the day but arthritis in my left knee from surgery a year and a half ago started kicking in. So I bought a treadmill and started back lifting weights which they say now is really good for us older folks. I'd rather see the scenery outside while walking but Jeopardy is a good distraction.

John, thanks for sharing the baby llama pic. Too cute.

Quote Originally Posted by John Ziebron View Post

John, thanks for sharing the baby llama pic. Too cute.
    The little girl was born Sun afternoon, about 5 weeks overdue (12 months, 3 weeks). They are on their feet within 1/2 hr, running the next day. The 1st-time mother wasn't quite sure about all this but caught on fast. Very protective!

JKJ

thanks, Lowell. We all rejoice in your good health and happiness. Strangely ....your tree talisman story does not sound SAPPY...just a good way to stay LIMBER!

"There is an overhanging branch towards the end of the street that I can touch and I touch it daily."

Lowell, keeping upright and active this way is great. When walking you are master of your own destiny. Cheers

Well played, Mel.