Thread: Plane Parts

Plane Parts

I have an old hand plane, at least 60+ years, that is missing the front knob. That in its self is no issue as I make one. the issue is the threads on the studs that attaches it. A 1/4 - 20 seems like the right thread loose. A 12 - 24 seems like the right diameter but the wrong thread. I cant locate a 12 -20 threaded nut anywhere. First question is does anyone have any idea what the thread might be based on what I have said and if so where I might be able to find a nut. Sorry but I can not find any indication on the plane as to whom the manfucature is.

Randy, I am not sure about the thread. I think Jim Koepke has helped folks with that information a number of times, but I cannot locate those threads in a hasty search. He will probably be along shortly though. It is some odd, hard to find thread that is not used much anymore.

An option may be to buy a replacement. I have never had a need to do business with them, but New Hampshire Plane Parts on ebay is a seller many folks have spoken well of. If you contact them with what you are looking for they may be able to locate it for you.

Blog Entries
    For what it's worth, the front post threads on my old #3 Bailey are 3/16-16. I don't think this helps. They have thread gages at Lowes. None of the threads on the gage matches. I did not check metric.
    I can if you like. I measured the threads by o.d. and thread count. I used thread gages to check, but the 3/16-16 does not match the gage.

I also think the planes from different time frames could be different. I would go to Lowes and try different bolt sizes. Also, a machine shop might help.

My 604 Bedrock has the same threads.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 06-07-2017 at 6:57 PM.

Blog Entries
    Howdy Randy and welcome to the Creek.

Stanley planes in most sizes used a 12-20 threaded bolt with a brass nut at the top. Check it against the tote bolt to be sure. It should thread into the knob boss and be snug. The thread can be checked against a 1/4-20 bolt to make sure the thread count is the same. Stanley used odd thread sizes to hold on to the replacement part business. They have recently abandoned those of us looking for replacement parts.

From what is said in your post:

A 1/4 - 20 seems like the right thread loose.
    Makes me think someone in the past may have drilled an tapped it if a 1/4-20 is loose. (my other thought is that might be a typo.)

Another source of parts is:

http://www.antique-used-tools.com/comparts.htm

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Thread gages at Lowes are a good investment.

Sargent Tool co. used a slightly larger size for their bolts.....closer to 3/16". Millers Falls used yet a different size of bolt.

Thanks Jim. The only marking I can find on the plane is that its a #5. I would not be surpprised for it to be a Stanley and based on what you said am sure it's a 12- 20 thread. I must say I am a little dissapointed by your comment that Stanley has abandoned us on replacement parts. Do you know of any other sources for replacement parts.

Randy,
    Try these folks for replacement parts.
    http://stores.ebay.com/New-Hampshire...=p4634.c0.m322

regards - Bill

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Williams View Post
    Thanks Jim. The only marking I can find on the plane is that its a #5. I would not be surpprised for it to be a Stanley and based on what you said am sure it's a 12- 20 thread. I must say I am a little dissapointed by your comment that Stanley has abandoned us on replacement parts. Do you know of any other sources for replacement parts.
    A picture would help if you could post one. Stanley usually marked the lateral adjusters. Patent dates on the lateral adjuster would also help to date the plane.

Usually after 1902 Stanley put their name or the Bailey name on their bench planes.

The link in my earlier post will take you to the parts page of a west coast dealer:

http://www.antique-used-tools.com/comparts.htm

I believe the links above will take you to an east coast dealer.

Stanley had a rather distinct lateral lever. The other makers also had distinguishing ways to make the same parts.

I have seen an image of the different makers frogs and adjusters to help tell them apart. Currently I do not know if it is still on the web.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

10. With an adjustable 1/4-20 die you can squeeze it down to cut 12-20. Not helpful if you need a tap, though.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I do not know why they bother keeping that site up these days:

Stanley Parts.png

Every part I have looked for in the past year is listed as "Out Of Stock."

jtk