Thread: Rikon 10-325 bandsaw slow to get up to speed, almost stalls when cutting

Rikon 10-325 bandsaw slow to get up to speed, almost stalls when cutting

What could cause this loss of stamina? I can't think of what I've done recently that could cause this besides a new switch. Gets up to speed slowly even without the blade. I've many times used this saw to resaw stuff like 8" bubinga with no problems.
    Motor I assume. If so, how to diagnose the problem? I really don't want to take the motor out but...

Thanks...

Have you pulled the belt and run the motor by itself? And while you are at it spin the lower wheel. I would initially suspect bearings motor or lower wheel
    " (not that I'm judging...I'm all for excessive honing) " quote from Chris Griggs

Why did you replace the switch? Did it work fine before the replacement?

Check the capacitors on the motor. You don't state how old the saw is, but I've seen motor caps go bad after 3-4 years (and others still going strong after 25...). Once you swap them, the motor usually perks right up!

If the capacitor was bad it probably would just buzz but not start turning.

Check to see if the belt is loose or slipping.

6. Sounds like a bad run capacitor to me. Just had to replace one on my dust collector, it would try real hard to get up to speed but never could, and it would trip the breaker. Went to the local electric motor shop and $30 for a new cap and 20 minutes to swap it--problem solved.

All your suggestions had no effect. I will check the capacitor tomorrow. This started several weeks after the switch replacement.
    I'll also give Rikon support a call. Will report back...

Thanks!

Could it be a defective switch? Assuming it's a 220V machine and the switch is a 2 pole, if one contact was defective you might only be feeding 110V to the motor. I'm no expert just a WAG.

Had similar aymtoms 1 month ago. Belt was slack. I forgot to retension after changing tires.

MK