Thread: My new home made honing guide

My new home made honing guide

Hi all,

after finding no guide that I liked available I made my own.

its made with two short pieces of 1 1/2 inch angle iron, a couple of sealed ball bearings, a few bolts washers and wing nuts and a chunk of steel plate.

i welded the angle iron together, and shaped it with a band saw, grinder, drill press, tap and die.

i only had to buy the bolts and nuts. Everything else is scrap.

extra credit question... What will this guide do that none of the others on the market will do? Hint... It's a very handy feature! Look carefully.

Clint
    Attached Images Attached Images

Crush bugs on a fence rail.

It could most definitely crush bugs! But. First you have to get the bugs out of the wood for it to be of any use to woodworkers.

think what will it hone that eclipse, ln, or veritas or any other guide won't hone. Why would anyone want to hone a bug?

Clint

I dunno, looks like a lot of work to me. I just sharpen all my tools on the concrete curb, works great and I get to talk to the neighbors while doing it.

Seriously, I used to have a few honing guides. I gave them away to people I did not like much. For my flat chisels I use a WorkSharp 3000 and all my carving tools are done by hand for obvious reasons.

Ok,

this honing jig can hone blades at up to 90 degrees or even a little more. Read scraper blades. Not the really wide ones but at least the end of a regular card scraper. Or high angle bevel up blades. Anything between about 20 degrees to 90 degrees. Normal honing jigs can't do that.

Clint
    Attached Images Attached Images

Interesting how some folks refer to sharpening as honing.

https://lansky.com/index.php/blog/di.../#.WTnBImjyvb0

For instance, I sharpen my carving gouges using a stone, but they are honed on a leather strop. Kitchen knives are sharpened with a stone and usually honed with a steel rod.

Ted, I define sharpening as grinding a bevel. Anything after the grinder is honing or stropping.

These definitions are fast and loose, important thing is communicating the idea. Worrying about terminology is pointless.

Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

This style jig both sharpens and hones.

that being said google gets much better hits using "honing guide".

The important thing about this jig is that it will help sharpen and hone blades or chisels or irons or scrapers at up to 90 degrees. The others don't do that.

it augments hand sharpening and honing. Is it required? Nah... Is it accurate? Yep. Can it produce flat bevels? Easily. Do any of the other guides work at very high angles? Not that I know of. Will electric grinders/sharpeners do this type of sharpening/ honing? Of course they will... Is this the only way I sharpen and hone? That would be silly...

Clint

When I prepare a scraper I just use a mill file with a draw stroke, then I use a stone to polish the "bevel". Doesn't take much given the narrow bevel. After that I roll the burr which is truly honing since the edge is being reformed but no material is being removed.

I included that link so you would not be misinformed like the thousands who show up on Google. Your device is a sharpening guide. It could be a honing guide if you ran it on a leather surface or a honing steel.

BTW, I quit using them long ago as I mentioned because they are really, really slow. Not to mention that you will discover that your bearings have a nasty habit of packing the material you remove from your chisels right into the stone. I used mine on silicon carbide paper, so it was not a problem.