Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stuck in Norfolk

Stuck in Norfolk

So I'm down in Norfolk,VA for the next month for work. I figure since I can't be in the shop I'll go rust hunting. Does anyone know any decently sized flea markets or swap meets down this way? I don't really know what else to search for. The garage sale search came up dismal.

Sorry, not in Norfolk. But I did a search.
    https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?...&hsimp=yhs-001

My father has an antique shop inNorfolk- doesn’t have many tools but one of his neighbor’s shops does, andtheir prices aren’t bad: look at shops in the 2400 block of Granby street. The thriftshop in that block occasionally has really good cheap finds as well. When hisshop was going strong, he would go up to some big outdoor flea market inRichmond – apparently it’s open Fridays through Saturdays, but I don’t knowexactly where it is- should have a website these days.

Blog Entries
    I you get bored, there is a lot of history around Norfolk. Take a tour.

Bubba's seafood is quite good (crab cakes) and casual if you get hungry, 3323 Shore Dr.
    There's never enough time to do it right, but there's always enough time to do it over.

I can't help on your question, but I did chuckle about your post title. It reminded me of some songs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WS-TTNaLyg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yA7iGxV6rt4

Karl ,I think that flea market in Richmond is the "Bellwood"

You could visit Colonial Williamsburg.

Blog Entries
    I was referring to Colonial Williamsburg in my post. It is worth the effort.

I just went online and viewed pictures of Colonial Williamsburg. I remember the scenes shown in the pictures.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 06-10-2017 at 11:00 AM.

Cody,

Try the local Craigslist for yard sales, it covers all of Hampton Roads.
    You might also consider visiting the Mariners Museum in Newport News, obviously lots of ships but there are plenty of wooden ships so its not far off the area of interest. The new Monitor Merrimac section is very interesting mostly because of the conversion of the wooden class Virginia to the Ironclad Merrimac. There are lots of tools from the period on display as well. One of the most significant donors of models to the museum was a local craftsman from Newport News.

George suggested Colonial Williamsburg, he would know better then anyone I know concerning what is of interest there. I have visited Williamsburg many times but as a tourist so I have no information that compares with George's lifetime of work there.

Hampton Roads is the oldest area in the country, it all started in Jamestown so you can expect to see and experience lots of colonial areas and events. The Blackbeard festival in Hampton is just around the corner I think, he lived here for awhile.

I was planning on a trip up to colonial Williamsburg a couple weeks from now. A friend of mine works up at the Yorktown weapons facility near there and we were going to make a weekend of it. George is there anything specific I should go do or anyone I should go talk to while I'm up in Williamsburg? Thank you all for your help and suggestions; a month away from home with no family and no shop left me a little confused. The traffic here is crazy. This is much bigger base that I'm used to up in Groton.

Many years ago I drove down to Norfolk a few times to buy Mahogany from Yukon Lumber (520 W. 22nd St.). The selection and price made the 3+ hour drive worth the effort, especially since this was at a time when Mahogany was extremely difficulty to find anywhere.

There's a great Woodcraft store in Norfolk. They provide a lot of classes and there is also a really great woodworkers club that meets monthly at the store.

David Turner
    North Raleigh

Blog Entries
    It reminded me of some songs...
    Funny before clicking on the link the same song came to mind.

I have stopped to buy gas in Lodi. Thankfully didn't get stuck their.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Funny before clicking on the link the same song came to mind.

I have stopped to buy gas in Lodi. Thankfully didn't get stuck their.

jtk
    There are worse places to get stuck. When we go up to the mountains, we most often do it by a route that passes through Lodi. We'll generally hit Lodi about noon, and stop at a restaurant on the west edge of the city that offers very good food.