Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stuck in Norfolk

I made a nice,long reply. Somehow it got lost. Anyway,there is the Anthony Hay cabinet shop in Williamsburg. One of my old journeymen is still here making spinet harpsichords. Very nice ones,too. His name is Ed Wright. The rest of the building is furniture making.

The Anderson Blacksmith Shop is an interesting place. I made their anvils (the casting patterns!). The treadle lathe is there now,way in the back end of the room. I copied it from one in the Science Museum in London. It works very well as the flywheel is quite heavy.

The Gunsmith's Shop is a good place to visit also. They are down near the Capital Building. I also recommend the shoe maker's shop. Very small,though. We practically made their whole shop. Their shoe maker's benches,their counter up front( no biggie!),and most of their tool handles and other things I can't recall.

If you can get close enough,you will see Jon's and my names on many of the tools.

The Housewrights use mostly tools we made for them,except for their pit saw. They move about quite a bit to different job sites. The very large guy is their Master. He is quite friendly. Ask to see the 6" wide blade crown molding plane,and the somewhat smaller bed molding plane we made for them,plus their well worn (by now) planes and saws that we made, They are pretty hard on their tools,being out of doors.

The Mariner's Museum in Hampton is WELL recommended. They have a huge amount of nautical equipment and hundreds of models. Their most special collection is in a special room to itself. Amazing craftsmanship. I am having a senior moment,and can't recall the maker's name right now,though I knew the man perfectly well. He started out in an old gas station and over the years built the models. I must say,he truly dedicated his life to what he wanted to do,as did I. But,he was really on his own. I had the museum.

Blog Entries
    I've been in the Hay Workshop many years ago. It is worth the trip by itself.

You might think about calling Jim over at Australian Burls (http://www.australianburls.com/) - 757-816-5622. He has an amazing selection of burls and turning stock. He is over in Chesapeake VA.