Thread: Minimizing Hazing and Dust When Cutting Styrene

Minimizing Hazing and Dust When Cutting Styrene

I have read the old threads in the forum and just wondered if anyone had come up with a new method to minimize the dust and hazing when cutting black styrene (HIPS) in .020" and .040". I cut some fairly large pieces in fairly large quantities so I would like to avoid the expense of release paper if possible

I have tried high speed with lowest power required to cut. Both full air assist and down to almost no air assist. I realize the underside is probably always going to have marks due to the trapped heat/gasses but it would be great if the top side could come out unblemished. At this point, it seems I am getting some heat damage (glossing and A in the pictures below) plus hazing clouds (B in the pictures below). Masking tape worked but is a real hassle even with the 2-3 inch wide version. Wetted newspaper worked and had faster cleanup but application was slow and subject to bubbles (fast "cleanup" though).

If release paper is the best option, I would appreciate a recommendation. Will a low tack version work with styrene? It has got to reliably form a seal without bubbles.

Thanks in advance.

At "A", the matte finish has been turned to gloss. At "B", there is lots of haze.

Styrene Glossing and Hazing 1.JPG

Same test piece but at a different light angle
    Styrene Glossing and Hazing 2.JPG

This white piece of paper was used as a mask. You can see the black soot that is being fuzed to the styrene during cutting. Acetone and MEK won't wipe it off.
    Styrene Glossing and Hazing 3.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

I would experiment with your exhaust air flow and are you cutting on a honeycomb where air can be pulled down?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Only way I've found is to take multiple light cuts instead of one pass to get through. Of course, with that, and your shapes (straight line), you could go quite fast.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, Bill, I am using a honeycomb table. I was wondering about exhaust but I don't really have any way to modify the flow/direction.

Scott, I will try the multiple pass method. Those were just test cuts so my design is quite a bit more complex with curves and relatively small holes so we will see how fast I can actually run the cutting. Maybe it will still be faster in the end if I don't have to deal with the masking.
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

Doug,

Premask transfer tape is not to expensive. Roll of 100 yards by 12" wide can be found for 40 under 50.00 bucks. this roll will cover lots of work pieces.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

my laser has a flip door on the 6" exhaust hole on the back. I can move the door for top or bottom air extraction . Maybe you could make something up. looks simple enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Fisher View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

Yes, Bill, I am using a honeycomb table. I was wondering about exhaust but I don't really have any way to modify the flow/direction.

Scott, I will try the multiple pass method. Those were just test cuts so my design is quite a bit more complex with curves and relatively small holes so we will see how fast I can actually run the cutting. Maybe it will still be faster in the end if I don't have to deal with the masking.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Bert I would love to see a pict of that feature, I am working on the extraction on my machine and that sounds like a nice feature. Thanks Gene

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Lenkic View Post
    Doug,

Premask transfer tape is not to expensive. Roll of 100 yards by 12" wide can be found for 40 under 50.00 bucks. this roll will cover lots of work pieces.
    I agree, cheap and a great tool that you must have. I always have a roll of 12". Check your air assist, I cut black abs and it will scorch at 25lbs. of air assist, at 40 it cuts nice and clean with transfer tape on the top, textured surface. Because of the texture I use high tack.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

One neat thing my LS900 has, but I've never used, is an exhaust hose attachment that attaches to the gantry right behind the lens-
    9e1.jpg
    the other end goes into a tube at the back of the machine...
    9e2.jpg9e3.jpg
    the other end of this tube right against a flat plate on the exhaust blast door,
    9e4.jpg
    which when closed, exposes a hole that fits directly below the tube (I left part of the hole showing)
    9e5.jpg
    Now, all of the blower's vacuum is focused on this tube, AND to the hole in the table next to the piece of Rowmark...
    9e6.jpg
    fed by this hose...
    9e7.jpg
    When used with the cutting table designed for this machine, the table hole draws all of the cutting smoke from below the cut,
    and the lens hose sucks up all the smoke at the surface of the cut. Note that I'm missing a bracket that holds the tube and funnel in the correct position, I have it hung with a rubber band

I set this up just for these pics, and gave it a go, and it REALLY sucks up the smoke! I'm half tempted to try cutting some un-taped Rowmark just to see if it will reduce the edge soot and such...
    I've never used it because (a) I don't have the cutting table to make use of the table draw, and (b) all the cutting I ever do is just 1/16" Rowmark pieces, and the normal exhaust works just fine.

I mention all this because I also connect plain old wet-dry vac's up to 1/2" clear rubber hoses to suck up engraving chips all the time around here. I don't think it would be all that hard to rig up a bracket that would hold one of these hoses near the point of cut, and run the other end to a vac-- use a vac with a blow side, that you can exhaust outdoors.

Cheesy? who cares, as long as it works! (my whole operation is 'cheese')
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Uselman View Post
    Bert I would love to see a pict of that feature, I am working on the extraction on my machine and that sounds like a nice feature. Thanks Gene

ok I'll get on that.Yikes now I have to clean my vents LOL IMG_20170612_194437100 - Copy.jpgIMG_20170612_194444081 (Copy).jpgIMG_20170612_194448230 (Copy).jpgIMG_20170612_194452459 (Copy).jpgIMG_20170612_194501127 (Copy).jpgas you can see easy to make and controls where the exhaust draws from . top , bottom or both.
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 06-12-2017 at 10:59 PM.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

2mm exit hole on the cone, 25 psi of air

3mm standoff from the job = flawless cuts in styrene
    You did what !