Thread: fiber laser rotary device - useful?

fiber laser rotary device - useful?

Guys, I'm thinking of buying a 30W fiber laser, to accompany the CO2 laser that I already have. I want to have an easier and faster way to mark tools, tags, hip flasks and other, mainly, alloy stuff. I'm currently putting a list together of the wanted technical specs, needed optional (spare) parts and possible suppliers. And now I'm wondering if a rotary device for the fiber would have such an extra advantage above the one that I already use for the CO2 laser, that the extra cash is justified. What's the opinion of the ones who have both?
    RayFine RF-9060 80W CO2 laser
    RayFine 30W JPT-LP Fiber Laser
    Pressurized Sandblasting Cabinet
    Sublimation stuff.

It's helpful. You don't want to do Yeti cups on it, with any quantity, but there are many things it does well. Normally, the smaller, the better, in my opinion.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    I'll second Scott. I have run a couple of cups on it just to see the difference. Cermark is much more consistent as far as the image is continuous on CO2 laser or appears that way. The gaps the fiber makes, especially with the rotary are visible. No matter how close you make them. And way the heck longer 80mm diameter ss can holder with image wrapping all the way around and I think about 40 to 60mm high took over an hour. Looks great, but stupid long. Text is quick, can't beat it for a lot of work. But if you can Cermark, then do that.

Yes, rotary is good accessory. I bought that, and one extra lens and one pair of glasses. I did get a x-y table. I use it a lot for positioning. Do get a 30watt, I would have but funds were tight. You can then do a 200x200mm area. I'd get at least a coupe of lens.and probably 2 pair of glasses.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Thanks guys for the info. Yes, 200x200 would be great.
    RayFine RF-9060 80W CO2 laser
    RayFine 30W JPT-LP Fiber Laser
    Pressurized Sandblasting Cabinet
    Sublimation stuff.

We have some medical equipment mfrs in the area and one call I often get is, "can you mark cylindrical items". Unfortunately, I have neither a rotary device nor a fiber laser.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    ...Cermark is much more consistent as far as the image is continuous on CO2 laser or appears that way. The gaps the fiber makes, especially with the rotary are visible...
    You may want to check your setup. A Fiber Marking is so far superior to Cermark it's like night & day. You can get a near pure Black that is shinny with Zero tactile feel to it, what I call a medical grade Marking. However as stated previous, it's too damn slow to make any money on such items as Yetis.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Blog Entries
    Ive not done enough with the fiber Tim to get it perfect. I can always see lines that don't exist on the cermark. Really depends on the angle​ of the light I think. And Tim, your epilog fiber may actually do better than the galvo. Yes, "same" source, but not the same application.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others