Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for non-ferrous tension curtain rods.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    This turned out to be easier than I expected. (Rare for me.) I took 1/2" copper pipe and hammered a 3/8" ID 1/2" OD nut in each end and used a 3/8"x2" bolt to tension them in. I had planned to braze the nut in place but it easily hammered in and cut its own hex path and is very tight. 1/3 the price of buying cheap rods at the store, more durable, and rust proof.
    Very solid solution Malcolm. What if you added sticky backed felt dots to the heads of the bolts? This should provide a better interface with the window jamb.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    Very solid solution Malcolm. What if you added sticky backed felt dots to the heads of the bolts? This should provide a better interface with the window jamb.
    I had the same idea but I am going to try without that first. Already spent $200 on this project.

Blog Entries
    IMG_1587.jpgUpdate: These copper pipes are horribly out of tolerance from one to the next. I had to go up one size to 3/8" nuts because some were falling into the pipe instead of wedging in. I bet there is 1/16" diameter variation and literally 50% wall thickness variation from one to the next. The 3/8" actually flare the pipe. They are harder to get in, but zero chance they will fail under tension since they flare the pipe on the way in. They seat firmly that way. I bought some self-etching primer and will prime and then paint white. Love the copper look, but it will surely tarnish and will turn the white curtains black. Also not interested in clear coating and worrying about clear coat not adhering.
    Last edited by Malcolm Schweizer; 07-03-2017 at 5:16 PM.