Thread: Wood choice for painted dining table base

Wood choice for painted dining table base

I'm building a dining table with a walnut top, the base will be painted white (just posted another thread in the finishing section regarding choices for paint / lacquer). What type of would do you suggest for the painted legs? Originally I was thinking poplar, but I'm wondering if it would be advisable to go with a harder wood to stand up better to incidental contact with dining chairs, vacuum, etc? Thanks!

Maple would a good choice for a harder wood. Soft maple would be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    Soft maple would be just fine.
    I agree with Dave. I built a kitchen stand for my wife a few years ago. It has a hickory top with painted poplar throughout the body. I did use soft maple for the legs, though, for the same reason you suggest and it has held up beautifully. I used two coats of primer before painting to completely hide the grain. It looks great and has held up very well.

Sounds like maple is a good way to go. What did you use for your top coat after primer? I posted another thread in finishing, was thinking lacquer but have gotten some alternative suggestions. Thanks for the help.

I just used two coats of latex paint followed by two coats of General Finishes High Performance.