Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just finished this credenza for a friend

I just finished this credenza for a friend

I'm not sure how it started but I offered to build this for my friend's wife (he provided the material.) The top is ash and the base is poplar. It is 8' long, 2' wide and 35" tall. Everything about it was done using hand tools. Milling, dimensioning, joinery, etc... I kept meticulous notes on time and process; at the end I put 72 hours into it.

I had never worked on anything this large before. My bench is actually only 5' long so I had to be creative sometimes. All rails are tenoned into the legs - 22 individual M&T were cut. The v-groove panels are floating (that X is just cosmetic because the liked the style). This had been consuming every precious moment of shop time I could get, but now that it is finished I almost miss working on it.

Anyway, I just wanted to share this with you. Hope you enjoy it!

IMG_20170609_140708.jpg

IMG_20170609_140525.jpg

Thanks for sharing. Is the black stuff barn door style rolling rails?
    David

Blog Entries
    I'm impressed with the concept, design, and execution. You did good.

Yeah. I made it from flat aluminum bar stock and pulley wheels

Blog Entries
    Nice work, thanks for sharing.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

clean concise work, you should be proud,

Ron

That's a nice credenza. Did you spray it or brush it? Was the barn door hardware easy to work with?
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    That's a nice credenza. Did you spray it or brush it? Was the barn door hardware easy to work with?
    Fred
    Thanks! I brushed on 4 coats of white milk paint and then 3 coats of polycrylic. It looks sprayed though. My wife is my toughest critic and can't find a brush mark on it The top is stained, shellacked and waxed.

The hardware was fine. I bought aluminum bar stock and just drilled holes in it for mounting. The wheels are plastic pullies. I can't post a close-up if you want one

Clever design.

Kurt,

Very nice work. One more "Ya Did Good!" The lines are extremely clean, one more "Thank you for sharing." The barn door railing and rollers are especially cool, and especially so now that you made them from parts! Very cool!

Stew

You are clearly a fine friend! And that's a fun and clever design.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Really cool piece and the finish looks really nice (you're a good friend). Also, I love the barn-style doors. Question: Where is that center shelf supported? Is it at the edge of the door (can't see in pictures)? Thanks for posting.
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I like it too, wouldn't look too much out of place in my home either.
    Good work on the hardware too.

Welcome aboard. I like the piece a lot. Simple. Not pretentious. Well executed. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    Really cool piece and the finish looks really nice (you're a good friend). Also, I love the barn-style doors. Question: Where is that center shelf supported? Is it at the edge of the door (can't see in pictures)? Thanks for posting.
    It is supported on both ends as well as 3 points along the middle.

See the vertical support on the back? It doubles as a shelf support and vertical support for the top. There are two more at the edge of each door in the front, but they are positioned in such a way that the door will always cover them.