Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Osage Orange lumber

Osage orange sounds eerily familiar to Black Locust in its general character and demeanor. Generally poor quality trees (from a lumber grading perspective), rough and tough to saw, extremely rot resistant and commonly used for fence posts/firewood. I've sawn tons of black locust on a bandsaw mill and cuts cords and cords of locust firewood. It can be pretty mean stuff that is really tough to get a predictable yield from.

Apparently some premier hardwood dealers (in areas where is doesn't grow natively) charge $17.60 ?!!!? bd/ft or you could likely get it from a local sawmill for around $1 bd/ft if you look hard enough and talk to the right people. Though it will likely be green lumber for that price and from a sawyer.

OP hasn't circled back on this thread, but I wonder what he's using it for and what lengths he needs? Longer lengths (over 8') are going to be tougher to come by.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    Osage orange sounds eerily familiar to Black Locust in its general character and demeanor. Generally poor quality trees (from a lumber grading perspective), rough and tough to saw, extremely rot resistant and commonly used for fence posts/firewood. I've sawn tons of black locust on a bandsaw mill and cuts cords and cords of locust firewood. It can be pretty mean stuff that is really tough to get a predictable yield from...
    And in appearance, apparently confused by some since the end grain can look similar, especially when the cut is not fresh. From the Wood Database: "One helpful characteristic that can help separate it from lookalikes such as Mulberry or Black Locust (besides being heavier) is that Osage Orange contains a water-soluble yellow dye, so putting shavings into water will turn the water yellow."

An quick way distinquish between Osage and Black Locust is to hit it with a 365 UV light - Locust will fluoresce brightly while Osage does not. This is a piece of Redheart and a piece of Honey Locust - black locust fluoresces the same way:
    UV_3_redheart_locust.jpg

Most of the Osage is not too exciting at the sawmill but every once in a while you see a big one. A few years back I got a call about the demise of one of the largest reported Osage trees in TN, I'm guessing pushing 3' dbh. By the time I got there with my trailer the big stuff was gone but I still got some nice logs from further up in the tree, 12-28" in diameter. As I mentioned, I turn some but saw most of it for around the farm especially in the garden. And it makes wonderful firewood!

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    OP hasn't circled back on this thread, but I wonder what he's using it for and what lengths he needs? Longer lengths (over 8') are going to be tougher to come by.
    I asked that question earlier - that would certainly help focus the discussion! If he is reading, he might check Woodfinder for Osage: http://woodfinder.com/ Also search the forestry forum - good discussion of osage there.

JKJ