Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Workshop Layout options pictures attached.

I like the changes you made. Having the infeed of many of your tools convenient to your bench will save a lot of miles of walking. I ended up staggering my jointer and planer so they aren't right next to each other, allowing a cart (and me) to fit when using it. I tend to run many pieces at one time and plane with pieces end-to-end to minimize snipe. Having a cart to stage pieces (especially many short pieces) makes the process more manageable.

I like the chop saw near the door. Since lumber storage is elsewhere, seems first thing you'll want to do is cut to length.

For me, the first picture of the second version would work best BUT I would move the miter saw to the right and in the middle of the built in cabinets, with the cabinet top being your infeed and outfeed tables. As is, you have limited space to left.
    Also, wall are above freezer has good potential for storage, depending on whether the top needs to opens 90 degrees. Could do graduated shelves: lowest one 6 inches deep, second one 8 inches, and so on. Just a thought. Good luck.
    ALSO, agree DC better in corner. Can you change angle the light fixtures so as to avoid multiple 90's?

Shop corners are my nemisis. You have to anticipate how you will access them when needed. In my current workshop (still in progress) I have two corners that are hard to access. One has clamp racks above a small parts rack.

Trying to get to the clamps closest to the corner can be a challenge. To get out the 5' parallel clamps, I have to really stretch and then be careful I don't hit the fluorescent bulbs over the work bench. Even the F style clamps require some stretching to reach. But it was the perfect place to mount the clamp racks, at least when I installed them there.

In my last shop, I placed the DC in the corner. And then started piling boards, etc. into the corner until I couldn't empty the drum without moving a lot of stuff out of the way. I finally settled on this:

At the right are two rolling carts that hold tool boxes that can be easily moved out of the way when I have to empty the drum. You can also see everything is on wheels. That shop had endless alterations to improve workability. And when I had all the kinks ironed out, we moved!

Here's the other corner of the new shop:

Right now you can't get to the drill press without moving stuff around. The corner where I was standing when taking the picture is where I stack boards 8' long or less. That, too, now has stuff in the way.

That's the problem with corners. Great places to store stuff, until you need to get to the stuff you stuffed in the corner.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hollingsworth View Post
    I like the chop saw near the door. Since lumber storage is elsewhere, seems first thing you'll want to do is cut to length.
    Nope. The FIRST thing is to get one face flat. Then the next thing is to get one edge straight. Then get the other edge parallel.

THEN you can start cutting to length.

If you meant cutting to a rough length, then yup, I agree with what you wrote. That is the way I do it.

Some of these work flows seem to forget that the piece usually needs to have its ends cut multiple times. Once for roughing, then two cuts to get the ends square to the edges.

Is there a garage door? If there is, I like to put the jointer and table saw there in order to take advantage of the open space for outfeed.

Blog Entries
    Bernie has got it right except the outfeed, infeed would be better..

Ted's a bit Confused.....
    Last edited by jack duren; 07-10-2017 at 9:45 AM.

Whatever you do, you'll likely change things up as your work habits change so TRY to remain flexible about where you put things. I know that my jointer/planer, router table, and bandsaw have seen major moves at least 4 times in the past 20 years. Some things can likely stay put like compressors and dust collectors but just about everything else can likely be moved around a bit.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Aaron:

What program are you using to draw up the diagrams? Specifically, where did you get the diagrams of the power tools? That would be incredibly helpful to me in planning my new shop.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.