Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to remove mold from vinyl siding?

Blog Entries

How to remove mold from vinyl siding?

The vinyl siding on the front of my house has some green mold on it. It is pretty high and I no longer use ladders more than six feet high. Before I hire someone to pressure wash it I thought I'd try to use one of those siding cleaners that you attach to your hose. Obviously I would just spray it on and rinse it off, the height would not allow me to scrub it. Has anyone ever used one of these cleaners with any success and,if so, which one did you use?
    Thanks
    Dennis

Probably algae/moss...I get it on the north-facing sides of my home. I haven't tried any of the cleaners, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

A friend of mine told me he sprays diluted bleach on the surface and waits ten to twenty minutes before he pressure washes his siding to remove mold and mildew. I'm not sure how effective this would be using a garden hose but it might be worth a try.

Jomax house cleaner works well, but I've only used it on brick and concrete. Be sure to start at the bottom or you will likely get streaks.

Last year I used a product called Wet And Forget. You mix it up, spray it on and walk away. Takes a couple weeks and the green mold is gone.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

We have a two story house with vinyl siding and have mold/algae grow in areas that don't get much sun. We have good success using a "Hudson Self-Mixing Hose End Sprayer." I take the black piece of the end that spreads the water into a spray and it will shoot a stream that will reach the top of the 2nd story. Fill the bottle with straight bleach and put in a squirt of dish soap to act as a wetting agent. I set the sprayer to the maximum ratio of bleach to water and spray it on the siding until the bleach is all out of the bottle. By then it has been on 5-10 minutes and I start back over siding with the sprayer to rinse it off. Generally this takes care of it and doesn't require any scrubbing. If it is heavy it may take some brushing, but once it's clean, just spray it once a year and it comes off easily.

I have used the Jomax and another brand of house wash the name of which I can't remember. Both of these products fit on the end of a hose pipe and both worked fairly well. The label says just spray and rinse off but I found it much more effective to use a brush on the end of a long pole like you would wash a motor home with.

Spray bleach on full strength, concentrated bleach (8%) if you can find it. Use a pump up garden sprayer. Let it sit ten min, then rinse it off with a garden hose. Easiest cheapest way to get rid of it.

This works ok. Add a drop or two of dishwashing detergent to counter the surface tension resistance.

Improper pressure wasning can cause mold and mildew

Blasting vinyl siding can cause water to infiltrate behind siding and even damage the siding if the operator doesn’t employ the proper technique.

Siding is designed to shed water that makes contact from a downward impact, not when sprayed from below.

I use a soft bristle brush on an extension handle to scrub after spraying with a bleach solution. Rinse lightly with a garden hose and let the water cascade from above like normal rainfall. Take measures to prevent damage to landscaping when necessary.

Yes, I just finished washing my vinyl-sided house with a garden hose, a soft, fat window washing brush attached to a long handle and a bucket of water, a good amount of bleach and a few drops of Dawn dishwashing detergent. Admittedly, I didn't get high on the south-facing side of the house, but I did spray the cobwebs out of the eaves. It went fairly quick .. 3/4 day job.

Before power washing, I have been using a mixture of household bleach in a sprayer designed for use with bleach; mix in some dish detergent to add some clinging action, fill to the line with water and spray away. Cheap bleach from the dollar stores is effective.

Blog Entries
    They make some stuff that comes in a bottle which mounts to your hose. It automatically mixes the mystery chemical with the water as it comes out and you just spray it on. I am sorry that I don't have the brand name, but they sell it at Home Depot. It works fairly well on black mildew. I'm not sure what it does for green stuff.

Blog Entries
    I just cleaned our vinyl siding to remove algae (green mold you describe). I mixed my own solution of 1 qt of white vinegar to 1 gallon of water with 1/4 cup Dawn Dish washing soap in a 5 gallon bucket. I used an adjustable pole brush for washing an RV.
    31HWozgb-iL._SX425_.jpg
    I dipped the brush in the bucket and scrubbed the siding. For high areas I used my step ladder, never went above 6 feet and extended the brush handle. I let it set about 5 minutes and rinsed it off with a low power pressure washer. It was a bit of work, but the house looks great. I use the same solution for washing my plastic composite decking.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I've cleaned our painted cedar clapboard siding with a mixture of TSP and bleach. I get a small box of the TSP (tri-sodium phosphate, generic name) at my local hardware place, and the exact recipe is on the box. I have a cheap 1 gallon garden sprayer that I keep for this stuff alone. It lasts a few years, then gets tossed. Spray, let sit a few minutes, hose off. ALways amazes me how the dirt and mold just runs off. I suppose some scrubbing might do a bit better, but couldn't be much, and I'm content with the results without the extra work.

Ken