Thread: Wood Bleach Question

Wood Bleach Question

I have recently turned a maple vase and want to bleach it to even out the wood color. The local stores (Home Depot, Lowes, Sherwin Williams) don't sell wood bleach but they sell wood brighteners that seem to be either an oxalic acid or sodium hydroxide solution. Any thoughts as to whether either of these brighteners will even out the color in my maple? Thanks.

I am not sure what the products you reference will do to your particular piece, though oxalic acid is often used to bleach wood. "Evening out colors" is a rather vague phrase. I have used a two part bleach and it took big leaf maple burl to a near white.

Left click my name for homepage link.

It sounds like what you want is a bleach to remove the natural pigments in the wood which would be a two part bleach composed of 30% hydrogen peroxide and sodium hydroxide (AKA, lye). Pure lye is dirt cheap at your local hardware store. Here is the one that I use:

image.jpeg

There are lots of drain cleaners that contain other things like magnesium that create lots of fizz and foam to put on a big show for you when unclogging a drain, but that isn't what you want ... make certain to get the stuff that is pure white 100% sodium hydroxide. Don't even think about getting the drugstore variety of hydrogen peroxide which is only 3%. Go to a pool supply store and get either Baquacil Shock Oxidizer or Aqua Silk Shock Oxidizer... they're both 27% hydrogen peroxide. You may need to order it online if you can't find a local supplier. It costs about $20 for a gallon jug. Here is a tutorial that I have on mixing and using the two-part bleach: Two-Part Wood Bleach

Oxalic acid is only good for stains like rust or weathering, but it won't remove the natural pigments. Chlorine bleach will remove mold and mildew and maybe some weathering, but like oxalic acid it won't remove the natural color.
    Bill

Thanks for the replies and the link to he article. I am trying to remove the natural pigments and get the white look. It might be easiest to try the 2 part commercially available product for $13. I can drive a while and buy that at the Woodcraft store. Thanks again.