Thread: Claro walnut

Claro walnut

I've got some black walnut lumber that was milled and stickered 30 years ago. All of it was salvaged from walnut orchards in central California. It's all 3/4", and 4/4 rough figured grain. Anyone have an idea of its value?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Weinheimer View Post
    I've got some black walnut lumber that was milled and stickered 30 years ago. All of it was salvaged from walnut orchards in central California. It's all 3/4", and 4/4 rough figured grain. Anyone have an idea of its value?
    You might need someone with experience to look at it.

My knowledge of lumber prices isn't too current - I usually saw my own. Air drying 3 years or 30 years shouldn't make much difference unless it was kept in poor conditions. (I have some from the mid-70s - seems the same as the newer boards.) The quality, figure, color, and width could make a difference. I've seen average quality rough sawn walnut around here for from $2-5 a board foot. I see some online for $7-$15. Very wide boards of clear walnut may be very expensive.

Was it stored indoors our out? Old wood kept in a shed or barn and full of power post beetle holes might be firewood. Rough sawn lumber in good condition might be more useful than milled to 3/4" especially if the 3/4" has been kept stickered instead of tightly stacked.

JKJ

Not enough information.

It's worthless. I'll do you a favor and dispose of it for you. Seriously, rough cut random width walnut (not necessarily figured or graded) runs about 4 bucks on the low end around here (St. Louis area), usually higher. CA prices will be much higher.

If it was orchard walnut it ill not be Claro. The rootstock may be Claro below the graft. The mostly expensive walnut is the stump and root flare right where the graft will be making it a hard sell if it is mixed claro root and black trunk. But some folks want the color difference and design around it.
    Bill D.

By the way any thoughts on Almond for lumber. I live in the worlds center of Almond growing and the trees are used for firewood. The tree are not allowed to get too big. They replant about every 25 years or so.
    Bill
    Modesto, CA. USA
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 06-16-2017 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    By the way any thoughts on Almond for lumber. I live in the worlds center of Almond growing and the trees are used for firewood. The tree are not allowed to get too big. They replant about every 25 years or so.
    Bill
    Modesto, CA. USA
    Hobbithouseinc has some pictures of Almond wood: http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/person...ics/almond.htm

Like most species, there is a lot of variation!

Also, a google search for "almond wood" and "almond wood for woodworking" will lead you to discussions from 2004 and 2008 on a Fine Woodworking site concerning drying and using Almond.

JKJ