Thread: Cleaning New Planer?

Cleaning New Planer?

So, my new Grizzly G0453ZW just arrived. Packaging/crating was excellent, and it arrived without a scratch. After releasing the machine from the crate, I noticed it is very well coated with oil.

Question - How do you guys attack the cleaning of a new machine? Solvents? Techniques? Videos?

Thanks

Use some kerosene and lots and lots of rags to remove the cosmoline off the beds. When done make sure to protect the surfaces cleaned with Johnson's Paste wax which is readily available at the big box stores.

Be careful with the rags after the cleaning is done.. Toss them in a buck of water or something safe..

We had a second rag fire in my town in less than a year... 2 homes completely gone ..

Lacquer thinner or acetone.

I use mineral spirits or kerosene. Laquer thinner can eat paint and acetone can eat plastic and paint.

Kerosene has two votes. Reading the manual, why would I do that, recommends WD-40. Anyone heard of such a thing? 😀

Blog Entries
    If WD-40 is left too long or puddles up, it turns to a nasty goo. I used mineral spirits and it melted the stuff on my G0453Z just fine. Take your time, wear gloves and watch those inserts . . . they be sharp.

To get a head start on the cutter head I placed some scrap ply and cardboard from the packing crate on the uncovered top as well as the table underneath and fired it up.

G0453Z-clean-up-001.jpg . G0453Z-clean-up-003.jpg

I did the same for my jointer a few years earlier. After that some mineral spirits in a spray bottle and a toothbrush followed by lots of paper towels and compressed air. Viola!

G0453Z-clean-up-002.jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I use mineral spirits or kerosene. Laquer thinner can eat paint and acetone can eat plastic and paint.
    I'm pretty sure MEK will eat your soul.

I like contact cleaner since it comes in a aerosol can and doesn't hurt paint or plastic.