Thread: Continuing problem -- Getting really, really bothersome

Continuing problem -- Getting really, really bothersome

I have previously commented on the problem that currently exists with typing private messages. The system is unstable, producing many errors by missing keystrokes that require constant editing and sometimes cause my connection to crash.

I just spent more than 30 minutes composing a 100 word message which caused my connection to lapse. When I logged on, the draft is nowhere to be found.

Please, please advise on how to correct the problem.

Regards,
    David
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Keith and Aaron are working on moving SMC to new forum software. vBulletin has become unworkable. So your patience will be appreciated as this is a substantial amount of work; moving the data is easy, but configuring things so that the site is setup efficiently for users and staff takes effort.

Jim
    Forum Moderator

David,

I will ask Aaron Koehl to look at this issue again but the odds are that its on your machine not ours. Because there are literally thousands of people here who are not having a problem its unlikely there is anything we can do on our end. As everyone's machines are unique based on the shear number and variety of programs that are installed its almost impossible these days to find some problems and correct them. When we have large numbers of people who are experiencing the same problem we are pretty sure its on our server software or vBullitin, currently that's not happening.

I can tell you that this Summer we will be moving to Xenforo software and we hope that it might be more compatible with less problems but I doubt it. What it will be is more secure, that is the primary reason we are considering the change.

If you know you have the problem writing PMs then write them in something else and copy and past it into the forum PM. It's a pain to remember to do it. But when I'm writing long posts I tend to do this just because I've had many of my posts just disappear never to be found again. Not just on this forum, on many of them. And I agree it can be frustrating.

Blog Entries
    Although individual machines can pose many problems and David's do not all mirror my own misbehaviors, I am on several vBulletin forums and only SMC displays the errant behaviors I get. One work-around is to always add/edit your post in Advanced editor mode (like when you attach pics after a thread is already running). For more lengthy posts I type in a text file of some sort and then paste the material into the post. This still requires some minor format corrections such as paragraph breaks but, assures I can run off at the mouth without losing my efforts.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks for all the quick replies and additional information. Maybe all will be resolved with the new system. This a great resource for so many, new and old, and I use it almost daily.

BTW, I made a typo in the text above. When I repositioned the cursor, the input problem occurred again. I do not have problems elsewhere with this computer.

Thanks again,
    David

this a pretty old version of vbulletin, other forums use newer versions. they are much more user friendly

these older version seem to work betrusing googe cromethn explorer or edge

you don't get all tese annoying typos ether

Quote Originally Posted by David Utterback View Post
    Maybe all will be resolved with the new system.
    I have given up. Waiting for the new system. Hope it will work.....
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

David,

Have you tried switching your editor in SMC from the Enhanced to Standard? (Settings, General). This helped me a LOT!

Before I did this I had many troubles. I managed things using two methods: one, I used ctrl-a/ctrl-c (win) a lot to copy the text I typed up to that point. Sometimes I would copy that text to Notepad occasionally so I wouldn't lose everything if disaster struck. When composing something more complicated, I simply used a different program (such as MS Word), then pasted the text into the SMC editor. I haven't lost anything since switching to the Standard editor as mentioned above. (Unless I compose and forget to click "Post", but that's a different issue! )

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by David Utterback View Post
    I have previously commented on the problem that currently exists with typing private messages. The system is unstable, producing many errors by missing keystrokes that require constant editing and sometimes cause my connection to crash.

I just spent more than 30 minutes composing a 100 word message which caused my connection to lapse. When I logged on, the draft is nowhere to be found.

Please, please advise on how to correct the problem.

Regards,
    David

I've experienced a similar problem when accessing SMC on a Win7 machine using IE11. If I am replying with a quote and backspace to correct and error or change the text, the cursor immediately jumps to the start of the text box and I have to move it with the mouse back to the end of the line. I haven't experienced this problem with my Mac and Firefox.

I'm looking forward to XenForo!

I don't have keys to the server room and wouldn't know what to do if I did but I'm not experiencing any of these problems using Win7-Pro, and Chrome for the browser.
    That said, if I'm writing anything more than a few words I always select the Go Advanced text window or I write it in Word and cut & paste.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    David,

Have you tried switching your editor in SMC from the Enhanced to Standard? (Settings, General). This helped me a LOT!

Before I did this I had many troubles.

JKJ
    +1 John. Switching to standard instead of the advanced (WYSIWYG) editor fixed all the issues I was having.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    +1 John. Switching to standard instead of the advanced (WYSIWYG) editor fixed all the issues I was having.
    Fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Fantastic!
    I second this fix... helped me too

Made the change to Standard editor. Hopefully, this fixes the problem. As always, thanks for all the helpful information.