Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glock slide

[QUOTE=Kev Williams;2699189]I've been engraving guns since the '70's... some get paint, some get re
    There needs to be a like button for Kevs responses. Even if I don't like them, I always learn from them. Thank you Kev, youre a gem.
    355 - 10400 : )

Blog Entries
    Hey Lee, if you look REALLY closely, and I'm pretty sure I'm seeing it, he deep engraved the gun and as a last step set up the parameters to Anneal. this then marked the bottom of the engraving and turned the bottom of the engraving Black. When I cut the initials initially, it was a light burn, one more pass as it turns black. And it's as black as a coating.without filling with paint or ink, etc.

Better? Hope that helps. The nice thing about a galvo fiber laser is that you can set many different hatch parameters and power parameters. The Chinese ezcad lets you set up to three different patterns with up to three different power settings for an item and run them back to back. Obviously you can then change again, but in one run you can get varied results.

.... I'll post a picture or two. If I'm wrong John, please let us know!
    dark1.jpgdark2.jpg And if you look at bottom left to the inverted letters, I did those the other day. A deep engrave then anneal.
    Tim! I'm getting the hang of it!

But my work isn't as good as John's! Not yet!
    Last edited by John Lifer; 06-16-2017 at 9:19 PM.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    ...he ran the Fiber on Anneal as a last step and turned the bottom of the engraving Black...
    That sure looks like English, but I only understood about every third word.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Guys I appreciate the responses and when a decision is made we will take the required action. I told him that I can engrave the the slide with my laser but it would only cut through the finish and not removing metal. I will show him my glock and let him decide if that is good enough for him, I think it is fine myself but he is the customer.

Thanks.....Terry Wade
    BEC Fiber Laser 50 watts with Rotary Attachment and supplied EzCad
    Nice Cut 1600x1200 100 watt Reci with supplied RDWorks and Corel Draw X8, Rotary attachment
    Shenhui 350 50 watts with supplied RDWorksV8
    Sherline CNC Milling Machine
    Concrete Printer CNC Engraver

Blog Entries
    Updated my description. Hope it makes my poor English understandable
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser

The bottom of the engravings are annealed and smoothed which can be seen as slightly shiny.

As for rust, well here in Houston, Texas our climate is classified as subtropical and our average humidity is 75. Bottom line, everything eventually rusts. If customers maintain their firearm with regular cleaning and CLP they will not have a problem. If firearms are to be stored, they usually place the firearm in a "sock" which is pre conditioned with oil to prevent rust.

Here is a S&W M&P barrel I marked last year with a CO2.
    If you plan on marking qty, its worth the setup time, otherwise, I would never do just one again.
    Alignment on a one up is a bear.

m_and_p_co2_barrel_etching.jpg
    Red Bolt Laser Engraving
    Houston, Texas

Thiis floor plate was directly etched with my LS900-- The smoky deer was engraved directly from artwork and was a bit 'busy'.
    The tips of the antlers were a bit out of focus, which I didn't realize until after I pulled it from the laser...
    darklaser.jpg

This is pearl white Cermark. It's not all that white, but to be fair there was a bit of regular 6000 Cermark mixed in with it by accident.
    Whether it would be whiter, I'm not sure, I haven't had the need to spend $165 on the stuff
    but it is definitely more permanent than just etching the metal coating, definitely an option...
    13.jpg

And I'm familiar with alignment nightmares
    12.jpgarmyslide4.jpgarmyslide7.jpg

The army logo was a pain and obviously didn't come out anywhere near perfect but I've been told (haven't seen it yet) the gun shop carved & dremel'd a few spots and Cerakoted it and it came out nice--
    Which is good, because the gun shop gave me the wrong logo...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    armyslide4.jpgarmyslide7.jpg

The army logo was a pain and obviously didn't come out anywhere near perfect but I've been told (haven't seen it yet) the gun shop carved & dremel'd a few spots and Cerakoted it and it came out nice--
    Which is good, because the gun shop gave me the wrong logo...
    Kev, you are far braver than I.

-John
    Red Bolt Laser Engraving
    Houston, Texas

This is a Ruger LCP-380 I picked up for cheap money. the barrel and slide had some rust and a little pitting but functioned fine. I took it to a shop and had it cerkoted. They wanted more then a new gun to refinish it LOL . I had to try engraving . Came out ok, just a tad off center but not to shabby.LCP380 (Copy).jpg
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

A Glock slide that I engraved and color filled - Note picture was prior to final polish. The 2nd is obviously not color filled.
    20160727_221427w.jpg20161111_130414w.jpg
    Last edited by Tim Bateson; 06-18-2017 at 10:08 AM.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Blog Entries
    Yep, Bert a good cerakoter, one that is trained and applies correctly makes good money. We think that cermark is expensive, those coatings are too! At least most have decent shelf lives. (Single part finishes at least)
    Nice work also Tim!
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser